TClock3 0.3.5

WildBill

The next feature I add to TClock3 will probably be shared memory. As it stands right now, TClock3 is a real resource hog (as Win98 users can attest) and I'm trying to figure out how to put the skins in only one process instance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow. Every time I run 0.3.4 on one of my Win2k servers it slowly slows down and until the machine becomes totally unresponsive. Takes about 20 to 30 seconds. Buggy!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

With W2K SP4 (full updates) and TClock3_0.3.5

BUGS

1) Upon running TClock3, two blue (same color as the first/left color of the active window's title bar, I'm guessing) bars appear, one behind the rebar gripper , one just to the left of the system tray. Other toolbars that I open have similar blue bar behind the rebar gripper. Bars remain even after closing TClock3.

2) No icon in system tray for TClock3 (I had to right-click to the right of the tray clock to bring up menu);

3) Wiped out my tray clock when hiding and then unhiding start button (tray shifts to the left side of the toolbar, then shifts back and clock disappears). Clock reappears when TClock3 is closed, but disappears again when I run TClock3.

Thanks!

With W2K SP4 (full updates) and TClock3_0.3.5

BUGS

1) Upon running TClock3, two blue (same color as the first/left color of the active window's title bar, I'm guessing) bars appear, one behind the rebar gripper , one just to the left of the system tray. Other toolbars that I open have similar blue bar behind the rebar gripper. Bars remain even after closing TClock3.

2) No icon in system tray for TClock3 (I had to right-click to the right of the tray clock to bring up menu);

That's not a bug. That's how it's designed. You're supposed to click on the Clock (I didn't design it that way, that's how TClock2 is, and TClock3 grew out of it).

3) Wiped out my tray clock when hiding and then unhiding start button (tray shifts to the left side of the toolbar, then shifts back and clock disappears). Clock reappears when TClock3 is closed, but disappears again when I run TClock3.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Seems tclock (lateste version) don't work in my pc.

Windows xp sp4 portuguese.

When I open it crashes my start menu task bar for some seconds and the don't happen nothing, but i check the processes and it still running.. :(

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't tested it on XP in a very long time, so I'm not surprised. At one point I'll give it a try, but at the moment I have bigger fish to fry...

http://www.savefile.com/files/1807085

This is a partial screenshot of my most recent test. It isn't my entire desktop; for testing I'm using a window that covers only part of the screen because at this point I still need access to un-skinned areas.

Why? That's because of what this represents.

Aside from the fact that I'm skinning a lot of stuff how, this is a "topmost" window that's being painted by Direct3D 9. I'm redirecting GDI painting (not everything, but a lot at this point) to textures that I've allocated, where each window has a texture of its own. This lets me have alpha-blended borders :)

It was done on Win2k SP4, and while there is a LOT that isn't working, I'm making steady if slow progress. I've been working on it just about every day, and to say that it's a MAJOR pain in the butt is a huge understatement. But I AM making progress, and the goal is to reach alpha-blended borders, with a blurring vertex shader -- like a certain other OS we know. At this point I think it's possible, though getting GDI to play nice is giving me fits. I only just got mouse-clicking on menu bars working tonight, and I still have to get clicking on them to close them working. One tiny step at a time, with maybe a million left to go.

I doubt that this will work on Win98, though now I have most of a framework in place to share textures so not every application will eventually have to load the skin. It's not in place yet, but I plan to give it a try at some point and hopefully that should at least solve the GDI resources problem. I can't guarantee that I'll do it for the next version, but it's at least in sight now.

Forgive me if I'm too blunt, but XP already has its own native skinnning system, while 9x/2000 do not. Sure, there's Uberskin for 98SE and it works fantastic, but there's always place for more.

If you really do care about 9x, I could perform certain tests, time allowing. At this point, any help to improve/keep alive the 9x family is more than welcome.