TClock3 0.3.5

WildBill

Tested 0.2.8 earlier today. On the bright side:

• Skinning is faster now and doesn't take up so many resources (at start)

• Painting glitch below the Start button is fixed

Resources (System|User|GDI) in percent:

63 63 64 initially

34 34 61 immediately after TClock3 0.2.8 startup

7 7 54 after changing and applying some settings

9 9 64 after Explorer crash and restart

All other issues reported previously are still present. There will come their time. ;)

After changing and applying some settings and closing the options panel, a click on the Start button crashed Explorer. Most tray icons haven't been restored. :(

EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
module <unknown> at 0000:00000001.
Registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=0187 EIP=00000001 EFLGS=00010202
EBX=0080f66c SS=018f ESP=0080f57c EBP=0080f618
ECX=019c0647 DS=018f ESI=0000c690 FS=2537
EDX=00003ade ES=018f EDI=0080f620 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
01 00 00 00 04 70 00 c3 e2 00 f0 65 04 70 00 65
Stack dump:
019c0647 00000c44 00000002 00000000 00000000 0080f654 019c0666 0080f618 0000c690 0080f66c 1434c5b4 bff713e2 00000187 bff74272 0001cb04 0001cb04

Bill: For me the taskbar flickers every second if you have the clock format set to display seconds. Bizarrely, this stops happening if you move the mouse cursor over the taskbar... is there anything I can do to alleviate this?

Also, I've set double left click on the clock to show calendar, but it doesn't seem to work - I can only get to it via the context menu. Do I need to change anything for this (this was actually inherited from my old TClock2 setup, so i only just noticed it).

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I was playing around with this in Windows 98se and was trying to find a good use for it, when i magically improved the font for all the shortcuts on the desktop. It looks really good, so its now a candidate for inclusion in AutoPatcher as on optional addon (if its OK with you). So, the thing that isn't so good that will help me make a decision is the question of the clock. Until i choose to 'Do not customise clock' all i get is a black blob where the clock should be.

Is this normal behaviour on a Win98se machine?

The utility is looking good so far ... black blob clock aside that is ...

Edited by soporific

I like what this is doing, because where it works it looks great, but there are a number of issues (leaving aside the fact that the zip file appears to contain 2 different versions?). I'm not sure how many of these you're aware of already, but anyhow:

Firstly there's this very editbox (image #1). As you can see, the cursor position gradually becomes more and more displaced the further to the right of the editbox you get, making editing very difficult.

Secondly, the smoothing can have a detrimental effect on the layout in some windows - see image #2 for an example where the text on imageshack.us is no longer on a single line like it should be.

Thirdly, for some reason the Documents menu under Start doesn't render correctly for some reason if it is (empty) - see the third pic.

I'm also having some problems with the clock, though funnily enough the normal clock works fine, but customising with TClock results in part of the clock not being displayed - see image #4 for a before/after.

Lastly, smoothed text can be badly corrupted if another window containing certain elements is overlaid, e.g. my browser window looks like the last picture once I've had a multiline editbox over it.

I hope these issues can be resolved, because I'd like to use this if they can, but unfortunately the errors.

(Also hope these attach properly...)

post-69830-1173562248_thumb.jpg

post-69830-1173562394_thumb.jpg

post-69830-1173562746_thumb.jpg

post-69830-1173562750_thumb.jpg

post-69830-1173562993_thumb.png

You're definitely seeing the same SnoothText issues that I have. I've been trying to tackle the text width issue but I haven't yet. I'm finding that Firefox is assuming that the width of a line of text equals the sum of the widths of the individual letters that make up that text, but when using subpixel smoothing that isn't the case anymore. One at a time I want to resolve these issues, but my time is limited and it may take a while. As I come out with new versions I'll release them promptly. The ZIP definitely has problems and I didn't intend to put two versions in there. You obviously should use the newer one ;)

For TClock3, you don't have to tell it not to customize the clock. Instead, set the tray to "skin tray" and tell the Clock full skinning page to use one of the quicklaunch images. You *might* also have to tell the format page to use a custom format, like "h:nn tt", but I'm not 100% sure there.

As a general rule, I never have objections on redistributing any software I write, including source code. Hopefully someone might see my code and offer to improve it someday (I can dream, can't I?) :)

Bill: thanks for the info.

Do you happen to have any suggestions about the taskbar flickering I mention above? I thought it might go away if I took seconds out of the clock format (I use h:nn:ss @@@.@ usually), but it doesn't unfortunately. Once you throw in taskbar transparency it quickly becomes quite pronounced and distracting.

• 3 months later...

Systray icons do not appear, they're hidden under the background.

System resources drop to a very low level (28%), especially if system menu is skinned.

Crashes on exit, which forces an Explorer reload.

Not tested yet.

The application does not seem to work correctly using Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4; the clock does not appear. A black figure instead appears where it should be.

• 1 month later...

Great Program!!! :thumbup

I do have some trouble with it tho I use win200 proffesional sp4 and it does just show a dark figure when there is no skin imported from a windows blinds file. but when a skin is applied for example i applied XPProfessionalvIII it skinned the taskbar prety nicely but it still needs work. The start button was skinned ok and theat was good. but the taskbar kind of resizes itself which i think should be fixed too. Lastly the clock doesnt appear unless i resize the taskbar.

But otherwize good Job!!! :yes::)

edit: I tried another skin and the skinning worked as good as i wanted it the only major problem still is that the clock cannot be seen unless the takbar is resized.

Edited by Dilusion