browser issue

bonestonne

ok, so i'm running my nice small and cozy nLited Windows XP SP1, nothing more than that really, its got DX 9c and the few little goodies and programs i feel i should use....

but back to browsing the internet. while im surfing the net, with opera or firefox, it gives me this save dialogue...but then if it does save, its like a webpage on my desktop...is there a problem with windows here? it only takes 20 minutes to install fully, another 20 for me to get my programs installed, and 30 to transfer my music...but what the dilly? what would cause it to do that? i tried unistalling firefox, and running firefox in safe mode. i use comodo firewall, avast antivirus, adaware SE..i've scanned several times and not come up with anything, so i'm dry as a desert with ideas for whats causing this.

does anyone know how i can stop this from happening?

also, there are times when i'll refresh a page here at msfn.org, and what happens is it loads a blank page with a "0" at the top left corner.

its really bugging me, and the problem started happening when i installed firefox 2.0, but i deleted it and installed 1.5.0.8, and it still happens...

1) SP2 is a placebo for XP...don't try to tell me otherwise, i know from experience that it doesn't do squat other than change around security settings a change icons.

From experience or from what you've been able to see?

As to your original question, I'm still not quite sure what you're talking about. When does this dialogue come up?

its a really strange issue...in the past hour of wrestling it, i have an old version of opera working, so far no problem...

whenever i would try to go to a web page or click a link it would give me a dialogue about saving it.

other times it wouldn't load, or just the text and links would appear, no links. or even worse, here i would just get a 0 and it would double post or something...tomorrow i'm going to get myself out of my misery and swap drives with my sister...take her maxtor, install xp on it, transfer my files from this onto that, and be done.

its really stressful to me because i finally got settled in with this computer, i didn't want to be reinstalling or anything until i get a laptop which will be towards the middle of december really...quite nerve racking because my dad doesnt like my other PC [its faster and didnt cost a thing] but arg....

getting settled and have issues like this is a problem for me because i want to not have computer problems like this....makes me go crazy..im already slightly dependant on certain things..i'll leave it at that.

What’s New in This Version

• Added new sections: Distributed Transaction Coordinator, Internet Information Services.

• Revised sections: Windows Firewall, Setup, Resultant Set of Policy, Windows Update, Internet Explorer Feature Control Settings in Group Policy, Internet Explorer URLAction Security Settings in Group Policy, Internet Explorer MIME Handling Enforcement, Internet Explorer Network Protocol Lockdown, Internet Explorer Local Machine Lockdown.

• For information regarding changes in previous versions, see Appendix A, "Document History.”

thats well and dandy, but if you don't use IE, what does it matter? also, i don't use windows update, so even less of it matters. lastly, my sister manages the network, i just manage my router, so all this networking stuff doesn't matter, its already covered.

why update to, or install a program you never use? its like dual booting windows/linux/mac and only using windows...whats the point? to say you have it?

i prefer Sp1, a lot of you prefer Sp2, i guess thats just a difference we all have to work around, because it doesn't make my computer any more susceptible to a virus or trojan or attack than you. software security is no better than user knowledge.