Office Customization

fizban2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the straight-forward guide to the Office Customization Wizard.

The question I have is about delivery to the desktop. Since this new format replaces the old Transform files - mst files - has anyone found a script style to leverage GPO? GPO using the msi file ignores the OCT and only uses the xml file. The xml file only takes a few customizations like product key, but nothing of the detail of the OCT.

So, unless you are an SMS shop, you'd still have to manually install 2007 machine by machine while logged in as local admin to the local PC - because 2007 doesn't even support elevated privileges anymore. Or use a GPO combined with a script intelligent enough not to run everytime a machine authenticates to a domain. That's the script I'm looking for.

Thanks.

Adam in DC

• 6 months later...
I had this same problem, but I got the admin folder from an enterprise version of office and put it in the same directory as my retail office files. now the office customization tool runs fine. if there are no objections to me doing this, i could host the admin folder for those of you who want it.

I will no thank you enough for this comment. It happens that I got the same problem with OEM Preinstallation Kit for Office 2007. Official DVD's from Microsoft do not include the admin folder :realmad: while documentation states in various places that installation may be customized using setup /admin. Until I discovered this thread, I had no idea how to get it fixed. Once the missing folder has been copied from an Enterprise distribution, problem was solved.

Thanks for tutorial as well

:thumbup

• 1 month later...

I found your documentation very usefull.

just an ide to make your dokumentation even better

You should add something about the Licensing and user interface (this was the only thing I was missing)

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Office/en-us...3.mspx?mfr=true

to make a truely unattended installation you need to:

check I accept the terms in the License Agreement

Set display level to basic or none (this will skip the install or cosomize page)

uncheck Completion notice (this will skip the i am done now page)

check Suppress modal (this will suppress error and dialog boxes)

No cancel disable the cancel button (the X in upper-right corner in Full or Basic.)

if you set display level to full (default) it will display all of the user interface options and messages (and disregard the checkboxes)

I point this out because i overlooked it and it was bugging me to go to 100 machines and hit install wait half an houre and then hit finish. although only 2-3 min roughly wasted, this was per machine so multiplyed by 100 that gives me some time to do other things (4 or 5 houres to be exactly)

I made a default office.msp and put it in the updates folder (so if you start the install by the regular setup without switches it will still install unattended.

I made a special install with display level full - which users can use if the have special needs like (outlook or infopath which i have not included in the default install)

I called it office outlok.msp, stored it in an extra folder i called extra along with the pdfxpf addon and created a cmd script for the install.

So users who want to install the default go to the setup.exe, and users who want to costomize go to the office_special.cmd

This is very usefull stuff to know if you like me are installing multiple programs at once with a cmd script, and therefor I think you should make a section in your dokumentation about this.

Again very usefull document you have made, but if you append this section no admin would want to be without it.

best regards michael

• 3 months later...