nForce 5.1

uvmain

anyone else running vista on an NF4 board?

my board (DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra-D) has 7 channel Karajan audio, which works fine with the nForce audio drivers and nvmixer. whilst I have managed to get 5.1 working, Vista bluesreen when I try and push audio through the device. This does not happen if my drivers are set to stereo.

Can anyone else replicate this?

I can't believe the drivers actually on the RTM disk BSOD when in 5.1 - bit lame really :/

Well, I'd see if there are driver updates from nvidia (probably not yet, but worth a check). Considering it's the vendor who supplies drivers for the Windows disc, I'd be mad at nvidia for making crappy drivers :).

Well, its not quite the same Topic, just very close:

i had severe issues with the nVidia drivers on Vista RC1, so bad that i was unable to run vista on my machine actually.

These issues were due to SCSI/RAID/S-ATA Problems. After having configured the HDD's in a way that Vista would recognize them at all with those nVidia drivers it then still rejected the driver after installation at first boot due to a missing Certification by MS.

Well, that was a few Weeks back and i havent tested again yet (was too frustrated).

Sorry for drifting slightly Off_Topic,just felt like expressing my frustration with these darn nForce Boards and Vista...

Not nice, really...

sneaky

uvman, I've been having the same problem as yours. The nvmcp wash BSODing randomly with err'tee'hmm... drivers. I spent hours in finding where to locate the problem. I finally found a q&d fix by installing RC1 beta drivers. The perfs are not that much great but the driver just works. Since I reverted to this version, I only got 1 BSOD by stressing much vista. I guess you'd like to try this:

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_download...ta_x86_rc1.html

hope your bsod's won't last

cheers

I updated the nf4 pci root hub drivers, as the driver was on WU, and it seems to have fixed my nvmcp BSODs :)

nforce audio drivers are still shoddy tho.. stereo isn't being cloned to the rear channels as it is in XP.

my system in general seems a lot more stable with the updated pci root driver :)

Any luck running NvMixer on Windows Vista yet? I can't get it working. NvAudioMod.dll is missing and when I copy it from my winxp installation, I cannot regsvr32 the dll - obviously because it wasn't designed for vista. I'd really love to use NvMixer because the standard Vista software won't let me clone my rear speakers.

Thanks

Sander

@duceyaj: thanks, but I hate the realtek drivers ;)

I'm also using analogue.

@bluppfisk: yup.. I'm using nvmixer right now :P

If you go to your winXP drivers, and install 'Setup.exe' from the 'AudioUtl' folder, then navigate to C:/program files/Nvidia/nvmixer, and set nvmixer.exe to run in winXP compatability mode.

This has worked fine for me since beta1 :)

yeah, I used the winXP drivers also for a while. lately i've been just using the in-box Vista drievrs. But I have installed the realtek release Vista drivers and they actually work very well.

@duceyaj: thanks, but I hate the realtek drivers ;)

I'm also using analogue.

@bluppfisk: yup.. I'm using nvmixer right now :P

If you go to your winXP drivers, and install 'Setup.exe' from the 'AudioUtl' folder, then navigate to C:/program files/Nvidia/nvmixer, and set nvmixer.exe to run in winXP compatability mode.

This has worked fine for me since beta1 :)

If I could use the realtek drivers with nVmixer I would, but I'm a fanboy..

I fell in love with nvmixer since my first nf2 board with onbaord Soundstorm :P

Anywho, 5.1 seems to be working perfectly, but only for 5.1 sources.. all the films I've encoded output to 5.1, but the drivers no longer clone stereo sources to the rear channels.

I guess it's only a minor inconvenience, and I don't get BSODs from nvmcp.sys since the pci root driver update.

correction to that. It seems that you can find an option (after installin the latest realtek drivers) in the Windows control panel that says "Speaker fill". The description of it fits what I know as "speaker cloning".

Just one thing: The Realtek drivers crash bloody often on Vista64. Rundll32 crashes for some reason.