What we have learnt so far

Aaron

What really concerns me is the time it takes to install,

I just did one on a real PC - its not that new being a 1GB P3 with 512MB and a 10GB IBM drive and i know its a bit slugish but jeez that 13 min section took an awfull long time.

I would say it doubled it but I cant be sure. I am doing an install now from my old disk and ill compare the two.

I dont know what adding more stuff into the install process will do to the time it takes to install.

Yes, using svcpack prolongs the Setup process and hangs at 13mins for quite a while. But I do get the feeling its slightly quicker than running a hotfix batch during GuiRunOnce.

Hopefully using the Security Rollup Package will speed things up a bit quicker as it won't need to process each hotfix. But I don't know if it will be compatible with webmedic's script. :/

lol well rememebr this is the best way so that you dont accidentaly revert back to an unsecure version of a specific file. But yes I have noticed also that while installing the service packs it gets kinda slow. They hit about that 13 minute mark which is what is slowing things down for you.

It will be rewritten with screenshots. Some guides will be rewritten, some of them linked to threads in this forum, and some linked to a guide on someone's webspace. Its just the essential stuff (hotfixes being one of them, and the one currently on site is pretty flakey) that's really needed on a Windows XP CD which will be on the site.

I personally would like to have a downloadable ISO which has all the appropriate hotpatches ready for slipstreaming into an XP cd, with all the appropriate files (such as dosnet.inf or whatever the heck it is).

Frankly, the MS TechNet guide is to mind boggling.

In the next update I won't be providing empty ISOs any longer, nor will I suggest to use WinISO or UltraISO due to the way it badly handles ISO Images.

Because when you edit an ISO to remove a file and add a new one, the file itself is never actually removed, only the markers to it. This often bloats up the ISO image more when it's not its true size. There is also the problem where the ISO may reference to an old file rather than the new file when doing file replacements in WinISO/UltraISO (which has yet to happen to me, but it could at some point).

I have a better alternative though - cdimage.exe, xpboot.img and a batch file which will automate the ISO creation and clear the read only/hidden attributes in for files, folders and subfolders in C:\XPCD\ which will be uploaded on the next update. This method should be the cleanest way to create an ISO.

Yeah sure, make sure you credit those who originally thought up the ideas on your site.

YeuEmMaiMai - I won't be updating the Win2k3 site any longer and it will be left as it is. More info is explained at the main page of the Win2k3 site. Besides, Unattended installations of Win2k3 won't really take off because its not everyday someone formats a Server OS. :)