What we have learnt so far

Aaron

The Unattended XP CD Site is due for a big update on what we've learnt in the forums for the past 3 months or so.

Today I'll be doing mostly note-taking to see what I can add/update to the site. I've lost track of what's been happening in the forums and haven't had a chance to try everything as I've been very busy. So it would be appreciated if you could post the new things you've learnt, and the link to the thread (only if they are proven to be 100% working when tested by other people)

So far, I'm planning to:

Create an Office 2003 Professional Unattended guide

Add the UXTHEME.DL_ and SFC_OS.DL_ files (I will need more information on how SFC_OS.DL_ should be used first.)

Link to b0r3d's winntbbu.dll guide thread

Link to Custom XP Setup screens thread

Link to webmedic's INF and MassStorageDrivers install guide (when he gets the chance to make one!)

New Guide on Autologon based on webmedic's solution

Hotfix section to get an overhaul based on webmedic/spheris's solution

Link to Buster/Nephilim's XP-ES App, and b0r3d's Winnt.sif app

And mostly all the tidbits such as removing LANG folder, more winnt.sif values such as PROFILESDIR and the other types of $$ folders which are used in the $OEM$ folders and the like (I've forgotten most of them :))

Anything else I've missed out on?

*Edit*

Add 2 CD Installation guide

Add Debugging page

Add more registry tweaks (popular ones only)

Add vbscripts (e.g. Quicklaunch toolbar)

Add Directory Structure page

Change Drivers page to use numbering (drivers\000;drivers\001 etc)

I guess this is a hint to write an actuall thread jsut telling them how to add the raid drivers. Hm thats an interesting idea. Considering i have seen it at least two other places and there are countless others that are guessing but never get it right. Let me write the guy that wrote about this first and ask if it's ok if so I'll post more or less his original article.

Possibly I'll try keeping differnt sets of known to be working and post which motherboards they work with driver sets.

This may solve a few issues some are having.

How does that sound.

So it would be appreciated if you could post the new things you've learnt,...

1. the installation method with the "\I386\svcpack"...

copying Q-patches and the appropriate .cat files in it and overwriting the files in \I386 (i.e. deleting the file.dl_)

=> much faster installation of the hotfixes

2. adding xp-antispy (+silent switches) to the .cmd file

3. adding nvidia drivers to the /drivers-folder & editing txtsetup.sif, dosnet.inf and drvindex.inf

What would be nice for newbies is an xp iso image that already has created folders in it and example batch commands.

I spent a whole day getting to this stage when I started out on the quest for a easy install CD!

Instructions on adding a slimmed down i386 directory and appz and hotfixes can then be shown and an unattended disk could be made within an hour by a newbie.

I have a british one here; http://members.lycos.co.uk/pmcx999/Unattended.zip

Warning......This is a fully automated install for XP which removes all previous data on disk. It is also a British default install. Furthermore it creates a user called "Dood" rather than allowing the administrator by default.

Webmedic might do his own guide on the 2 CD method

copying Q-patches and the appropriate .cat files in it and overwriting the files in \I386 (i.e. deleting the file.dl_)

Do you know the thread link to where this is explained in full detail? Is this a tedious task to do, or is webmedic's solution better?

I'm afraid I test anything to do with Nvidia, as I don't own one of their graphics cards.

What would be nice for newbies is an xp iso image that already has created folders in it and example batch commands.

I spent a whole day getting to this stage when I started out on the quest for a easy install CD!

Instructions on adding a slimmed down i386 directory and appz and hotfixes can then be shown and an unattended disk could be made within an hour by a newbie.

I have a british one here; http://members.lycos.co.uk/pmcx999/Unattended.zip

Warning......This is a fully automated install for XP which removes all previous data on disk. It is also a British default install. Furthermore it creates a user called "Dood" rather than allowing the administrator by default.

That's a good idea, but I won't be using this since not everyone uses WinISO or an ISO editing utility.

This does give me an idea though. I could create a page illustrating the directory layout and explain what each function does, and where the files are supposed to go in. This should hopefully clear up some confusion that some users were having. Might use Visio to create the layout then screenshot it :)

Do you know the thread link to where this is explained in full detail? Is this a tedious task to do, or is webmedic's solution better?

I'm afraid I test anything to do with Nvidia, as I don't own one of their graphics cards.

to the "svcpack-installation"-method:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;814847

it's bit more work than just installing the patches 1 by 1, but worth the effort!

works great for me!

to "nvidia"-graphic driver:

- just unpack the nvidiadrivers.exe to install\drivers\nvidia

- add "OemPnPDriversPath=install\Drivers\nvidia" to winnt.sif

- edit DOSNET.INF, DRVINDEX.INF & TXTSETUP.SIF by DELETING following entries, so winxp-setup is forced to use the files located in "install\drivers\nvidia"

DOSNET.INF:

d1,nv4.dll

d1,nv4.inf

d1,nv4.sys

DRVINDEX.INF:

d1,nv4_disp.dll

d1,nv4_disp.inf

d1,nv4_mini.sys

TXTSETUP.SIF:

nv4.dll = 1,,,,,,,,3,3

nv4.inf = 1,,,,,,,20,0,0

nv4.sys = 1,,,,,,,,3,3

works 100% with the new WHQL'ed 45.23 drivers

to the "svcpack-installation"-method:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;814847

it's bit more work than just installing the patches 1 by 1, but worth the effort!

works great for me!

to "nvidia"-graphic driver:

- just unpack the nvidiadrivers.exe to install\drivers\nvidia

- add "OemPnPDriversPath=install\Drivers\nvidia" to winnt.sif

- edit DOSNET.INF, DRVINDEX.INF & TXTSETUP.SIF by DELETING following entries, so winxp-setup is forced to use the files located in "install\drivers\nvidia"

DOSNET.INF:

d1,nv4.dll

d1,nv4.inf

d1,nv4.sys

DRVINDEX.INF:

d1,nv4_disp.dll

d1,nv4_disp.inf

d1,nv4_mini.sys

TXTSETUP.SIF:

nv4.dll = 1,,,,,,,,3,3

nv4.inf = 1,,,,,,,20,0,0

nv4.sys = 1,,,,,,,,3,3

works 100% with the new WHQL'ed 45.23 drivers

yes that method is the one I use. It works well but the script automates it. Any service packs left that can not be installed this way can be done through cmdlines.txt or the other method I use.

by the way the nvidia drivers work jsut fine without editing those files by just adding them to oempnpdriverpath.