Free Vista For Beta Testers

gunsmokingman

I had started to check my email when I notice this from MS Thank You From the Windows Vista Beta Team!!!.

I thought this was just the standard thank you for being in the Beta for Vista. :yes: When I Open it it said

Dear Ed,

We would like to take a moment to thank you for your contribution to Microsoft Windows Vista. Quite simply, it would not be the product it is today without your time, dedication and thoughtful feedback. You should be proud to have helped us develop the highest quality, most secure and most reliable Windows to date. To say "thank you" we would like to provide you with a complimentary copy of Windows Vista for your use.

Please visit <SNIP> to accept your copy.

If for some reason you are unable to accept this gift you may decline by clicking "Decline Invitation" on the "My Participation" page on Connect.

Details:

We would like to offer you a copy of the software and a product key for Windows Vista Business Edition or, if you are eligible Ultimate Edition. You are eligible to choose Ultimate Edition if the machine on which you intend to install Windows Vista already has a DVD drive and is currently licensed for DVD playback, i.e., you have already licensed one or more pieces of software for playing back DVDs

· This is a full retail copy intended for your personal use and not for resale.

· It is being offered as a download only. No media will be mailed.

· Only currently active, invited members of the Windows Vista technical beta program who filed at least one bug are receiving this offer.

· Please visit <SNIP> to accept this offer and indicate your preference for Business or Ultimate editions.

· After accepting the offer terms you will be immediately be given access to download the software.

· You may install and use the edition you chose for 30 days without a product key. Simply click 'next' at the product key prompt during setup, continue on and choose the appropriate edition from the list. You will be able to enter your product key at the activation prompt at a later time.

· We will email you when your product key is available for retrieval on Connect. In general this should happen within one week of your acceptance of the terms.

Again, we thank you for all your contributions during the beta!!

Thank you,

The Windows Beta Team

This was such a suprise :o I was expecting something like they gave out for Server 2003 a crappy

:} Key Chain Radio thing, they gave out for that Beta.

Hmm, wonder if I will get that...I doubt it I started at rc1

gutted.. all this time I never reported a bug!

I started at beta1, but all my bugs were to do with dodgy third party drivers, so I never thought it prudent to report them. Now i'll have to pay when it's released :D

Just wondering, I just downloaded it from the first public beta, what does bug submitting count, whenever a program popped up and said OI this ere is naff, and windows will not run it, and theres a bug submit crash button thing I always clicked send, does that count? i've spend ages waiting for it to upload huuge dump files from programs, I'm not asking for a free vista, I'm happy to use RC2 for free until it runs out :) however i was just wondering what qualifies! if anyone knows?

I think its really good of microsoft to offer free keys tho! can't help but think its for further testing tho, send it out to the people they know will give feedback to let windows update have all the updates needed for release ;) heh

The public beta didn't count. You had to have been one of the actual technical beta testers.

Just wondering, I just downloaded it from the first public beta, what does bug submitting count, whenever a program popped up and said OI this ere is naff, and windows will not run it, and theres a bug submit crash button thing I always clicked send, does that count? i've spend ages waiting for it to upload huuge dump files from programs, I'm not asking for a free vista, I'm happy to use RC2 for free until it runs out :) however i was just wondering what qualifies! if anyone knows?

I think its really good of microsoft to offer free keys tho! can't help but think its for further testing tho, send it out to the people they know will give feedback to let windows update have all the updates needed for release ;) heh

Its not so low, all you need to do is apply to become a beta tester. But you have a few years as Vienna is not slated to roll out until 2012 so they might start the beta around 2010.

Maybe I can get on with Vienna when it goes to Connect :) Although the chances of them doing this with Vienna are astronomically low...

If you were part of the Connect beta (Go to http://connect.microsoft.com and login. The program was known as the Windows Vista, Longhorn Server and IE7 Beta Program).

When you click on it, and are eligible for free Vista, instead of taking you to the usual page it will automatically take you to another survey-like page. Put your details in there and you should get you key within 7 days - IF you are eligible that is.

If you are on the main page of the program, there is a new announcement too:

11-17-06 - Free Copy of Vista - To qualify you must have submitted a bug on Connect during the beta. If you did and have not received email confirming your eligibility, please send us your Connect Handle and the FeedbackIDs for all submitted bugs. You may find the FeedbackIDs for all Windows Vista / Longhorn Server bugs on Connect.
Edited by Biohead

A lot of confusion going around as to who is eligible for a free copy and who is not. Here are a few things gathered that might answer some questions about this:

1. If you were an invited Technical Beta Tester (TBT) for the Vista beta, more commonly known as a Beta Tester, and filed at least one bug report against the Vista product at any time during the Beta period you will receive a free complimentary full retail copy. You will receive an email regarding this, simply follow the email instructions. Your product keys will be provided in about a week. It doesn't matter when you joined the beta as long as you qualifed as a TBT for the Vista product.

(invited Technical Beta Tester (TBT) = if you applied to become a beta tester for the Vista product, had access thru Connect and were able to d/l the builds thru Connect and the Vista beta is listed as part of your participation on Connect, then you are an invited Technical Beta Tester (TBT), otherwise you are not.)

2. If you only d/l the publically available builds and were not a TBT (see #1 above), then you will not receive a free complimentary copy of Vista.

3. If you are a TBT for another product (even if you were able to d/l the Vista builds from Connect) and the bugs you filed were not against Vista but were against one of the other products (IE for example) then you will not receive a free complimentary copy.

4. If you are actually a TBT for the Vista product and did in fact file bugs against the Vista product but have not received the emailed instructions for the free complimentary copy, it is strongly suggested that you contact the proper MS personnel in the beta newsgroups as quickly as possible to correct the over sight. If you are a TBT then you have access to the beta news groups. There have been a few hiccups regarding sending out the email (some who qualified for the free copy did not get the email) and they are being handled on a case by case basis by MS so get into the beta news groups to have it corrected if you fall into this category. You will also need to send your Connect Handle and the FeedbackIDs for all submitted bugs.

Of course if you had an MSDN subscription or something like that you get the RTM thru that program.

Edited by Spooky