Open Command Windows Run As Administrator(keyboard Control)

cerdar

howdy :)

not sure why you type ctrl-shft, as any run command in Vista is ran with admin privelages.

It's about time MS did this, as only power users would be using the run command anyways :)

anywho, any particular reason for step three? as in the 'ctrl-shift' input?

You can also do this as a 'one stop' measure:

right click on cmd.exe and choose 'Properties' then click on the 'Compatability' tab and towards the bottom under 'Privilage Level' check the box with 'Run the program as an Administrator' next to it. This also works for other programs. Now it starts up in admin mode every time.

I am running ultimate 6000, and when I open cmd from run I still dont get admin privelleges. If I try to run a "chkdsk -f" command it tells me that "Access Denied... You need to invoke this utility running in Elevated Mode".

If I do the other method, it works fine however.

... ... Is it just me or is that a secruity flaw? I am an Admin for my shop and the whole reason we give limited use to ANY user is so they won't mess with the system intentional or unintentional. Yes, most people don't have a clue but those that do could easily start screwing with things. Am I wrong to think that?

... ... Is it just me or is that a secruity flaw? I am an Admin for my shop and the whole reason we give limited use to ANY user is so they won't mess with the system intentional or unintentional. Yes, most people don't have a clue but those that do could easily start screwing with things. Am I wrong to think that?

not if UAC is on.. they won't have the privelages, and you could easily remove 'run' from the start menu and disable the winkey :)

it's just the same as XP, with added ease for ppl with admin privelages

The moral of the story is to use UAC, rather than fight it, and this isn't a problem if UAC is enabled.

OT, but relevant: It's amazing how Windows gets flogged for lax security (which I don't believe is the case anymore with XP SP2 and 2K3 SP1), but when restrictive security measures (similar to everyone's darling Linux) are implemented, people rush to disable those features because they're inconvenient or somewhat obtrusive. Sorry to rant, but I saw UAC in a post and got all soap-boxy :).

You can enable it to keep the core security features running but get rid of the pop-ups. However, you will need to make sure that if anything installs that you intended for it to install. I posted some stuff in the tweaks and tips section, a couple of posts dealing with UAC.

UAC is nice as an idea, but.. it's getting pretty annoying as it's providing me with pop-ups every minute or so.. i may enable it when i get everything configured..

yeah i saw the tweak but i didnt understand what is it exactly doing.. keeping it on but suppressing pop-ups? what happens when some program tries to modify a system file or something? does it suppress the UAC pop-up and give it admin privileges or turns it down automatically?