Rtm?

fletch33

The RTM is legitimately available from a few different sources right now; OEM, MSDN, and today on MVLS. Advanced copies were also made available to some Partners. Its also available to those in TAP. The poster could be anyone of these.

A TAP customer would've been running 5840 (and higher) builds, and would likely already know how RTM runs (about the same as the 58xx builds, minus some bugs). However, OEM and MSDN have been available since Monday, and that makes this a possible legit question.

And you don't need a key to get the 30 day trial, besides.

Ah! Everyone who has a legitimately official download would get the 30 day trial, yes. But folks who took advantage of nice people who uploaded the file really are not supposed to be installing and taking advantage of that 30 day without entering a serial thing. Or substituting RC 2 files to get 6 months.

So, no not everyone gets a 30 day trial. Unless they're cheatin'!

Anyway (heh, heh), eagerly awaiting the end of January here! I'll be on line that day for another outlay of dollars. Seriously, I will purchase day one. And then I'll format what's there now so I won't have worries.

Oh, by the way it runs about the same as RC2. But the period where it's indexing constantly does appear to end sooner. Closing IE 7 or WMP11 no longer makes the hard drive thrash for several minutes as Vista was (I guess) debugging during the Beta, RC period. So things, after the initial period where you install all your software, will seem more responsive. But that software install period still stinks. The hard drive chugga chuggas like someone is using your computer. Lots of waiting before you go ahead and reboot as it's storing changes to the index and logging restore points.

The new audio sounds are nice. Designed to be unspectacular, they blend in rather than abruptly invading a "BOOM" when alerting you to something like in XP.

The new AVG Free worked except it wouldn't allow to turn off the background scanner, with an AVG (not Windows) warning of no permission to save the changes. Avast, on the other hand, works perfectly with no problems changing settings or turning it off.

All the software that worked on RC 2 appears to also run fine in the final. Nero runs great now.

You'll likey! Just trying to help here. Stay out of trouble though! All that is just based on OTHER peoples experience, of course.

Oh, by the way it runs about the same as RC2. But the period where it's indexing constantly does appear to end sooner. Closing IE 7 or WMP11 no longer makes the hard drive thrash for several minutes as Vista was (I guess) debugging during the Beta, RC period. So things, after the initial period where you install all your software, will seem more responsive. But that software install period still stinks. The hard drive chugga chuggas like someone is using your computer. Lots of waiting before you go ahead and reboot as it's storing changes to the index and logging restore points.

runs like my nlited XP pretty much, once you go through services.msc and rip out everything you don't need/want.

once the searching and idexing features are disabled, as well as offline files and about 20 smaller services, vista stopped thrashing the harddrive when you're idling (thank god.. my Raptor was driving me up the wall with constant read/writes noises), and the OS seems *much* more responsive. Not too far from my trimmed down XP.

I'm gonna go to bed, and get someone to wake me up when Nuhi releases nLite for Vista :P

A TAP customer would've been running 5840 (and higher) builds, and would likely already know how RTM runs (about the same as the 58xx builds, minus some bugs). However, OEM and MSDN have been available since Monday, and that makes this a possible legit question.

And you don't need a key to get the 30 day trial, besides.

@fletch33

:blushing: sorry dude, i thought keys weren't out yet, my mistake...

x64 running extremely well though 2 gigs is what i would recommend for optimal preformance! your system just flies when it has that ram to work with. everything is happy execpt for stupid flash player that won't work on x64!!!

Select Connect testers now have the opportunity to get this too.

You can only get one product key (sent out later), but a download is available once you fill in a final form. Build number is 6000.16386.061101-2205. X86 or X64 available.

Yep, I got this email:

Dear xxxx,

We would like to take a moment to thank you for your contribution to Microsoft Windows Vista. Quite simply, it would not be the product it is today without your time, dedication and thoughtful feedback. You should be proud to have helped us develop the highest quality, most secure and most reliable Windows to date. To say "thank you" we would like to provide you with a complimentary copy of Windows Vista for your use.

Please visit to accept your copy.

If for some reason you are unable to accept this gift you may decline by clicking "Decline Invitation" on the "My Participation" page on Connect.

Details:

We would like to offer you a copy of the software and a product key for Windows Vista Business Edition or, if you are eligible Ultimate Edition. You are eligible to choose Ultimate Edition if the machine on which you intend to install Windows Vista already has a DVD drive and is currently licensed for DVD playback, i.e., you have already licensed one or more pieces of software for playing back DVDs

· This is a full retail copy intended for your personal use and not for resale.

· It is being offered as a download only. No media will be mailed.

· Only currently active, invited members of the Windows Vista technical beta program who filed at least one bug are receiving this offer.

· Please visit to accept this offer and indicate your preference for Business or Ultimate editions.

· After accepting the offer terms you will be immediately be given access to download the software.

· You may install and use the edition you chose for 30 days without a product key. Simply click 'next' at the product key prompt during setup, continue on and choose the appropriate edition from the list. You will be able to enter your product key at the activation prompt at a later time.

· We will email you when your product key is available for retrieval on Connect. In general this should happen within one week of your acceptance of the terms.

Again, we thank you for all your contributions during the beta!!

Thank you,

The Windows Beta Team