Cheapest Video Card for Aero?

shockme17

I have a fx5200 in my vista test PC along with a athlon 3000 and 512 mb ram and aero is disabled on that.

If you have more ram than that in it will work sluggishly (I tried sticking an extra gig in there just to see if it would change it). Try looking for a 5500 or 5950. Should be pretty cheap off ebay or something similar but should run it a lot better.

Dave

In consideration of the cheapest, there are plenty mentioned this thread. However, don't consider price alone, yes get a good deal and a low price but don't just stop there, consider price - quality - and performance. Sure, you might pay a little more for performance but if all your considering is a card just to run the Vista Aero theme then you will be wasting your money. You will be wasting your money because you can only look at eye candy for so long with having to suffer with poor vid card performance for longer.

Personally, I run the ATI X-800 pro series in my own machines, if I did a lot of gaming I would have moved up the ladder a bit maybe, but for me the 800 series has a lot going for it, the price was good considering the performance and compatability with Vista, it runs the Aero theme upon install just fine and does everything I'd want a vid card to do even does the occaisional game or two with great graphics and smooth play with good FPS rates. Its a good all around card.

Edited by Spooky

• 1 year later...

The OP was written 2 years ago.

Well, now I'm asking the same question. What is a good cheap graphics card for Aero for Vista 64-bit (with dual boot XP 32-bit).

My criteria are < $50 usd, PCIe 2.0, Vista x64 compatible, ATI chipset, fanless if possible. I found several but I'm having a hard time choosing from 4000 series, 3000 series, etc.

I don't do gaming. Just need it for Aero.

I looked at both these cards. I decided to order the HD 3450 by Asus for 36 - 10 rebate = $26.

But, AAAARRRRGGG! My current card ATI Radeon X600 supports Aero! Before I installed the ATI drivers, the performance score was 1.0 for graphics. However, when I went to properties, it said you need to refresh your score because of a hardware change. I didn't change any hardware but I refreshed anyway and now my score is 2.7 and Aero got activated automatically.

Well, I pull the old one and put it in my old desktop and install new one that arrives into this new desktop.