Cheapest Video Card for Aero?

shockme17

hello..

i just installed vista, and i'm quite pleased with it. the only thing, is that it gives my system a rating of 1.0 because my graphics card isn't up to snuff. I have a GeForce MX440 which was pretty decent in XP, and I know NVidia hasn't released any drivers yet for older cards-

but since my card isn't DX9 compatible, could someone recommend one that is, that is fairly cheap? Also, if there are any that are compatible with a 200w power supply, that would be ideal as well (yes, i know it's low- but apparently it's propietary to my HP case..)

and one other thing, if there is an ATI card, do ATi cards have dualscreen options similar to TwinView on Nvidia?

Thanks again.

Honestly man, you are really limited. Becase even little cards like the old FX series require at least a 300W PSU. If you try and put in a higher power card on a system with a low PSU, you're going to have random shutdowns.

Edited by CptMurphy

personally i'd go for a x300 card, its got a lot more power than the fx5200, i've been looking up on the best budget card to run vista, and to me it seems like the x300, lots of places have reported the fx5200 to be sluggish when compared to an x300, they are roughly the same price.

out of interest what cars are you looking at that require the 250 watts?

also if you want to stick with nvidia i'd go for a 6200, which should be able to handle aero easily, its around the same price again!

personally i'd go for a x300 card, its got a lot more power than the fx5200, i've been looking up on the best budget card to run vista, and to me it seems like the x300, lots of places have reported the fx5200 to be sluggish when compared to an x300, they are roughly the same price.

out of interest what cars are you looking at that require the 250 watts?

also if you want to stick with nvidia i'd go for a 6200, which should be able to handle aero easily, its around the same price again!

Here's the link for the x300se. x300SE

thanks. but i don't have pci-E. only AGP 4X.

i just bought an fx5200 off ebay, so we'll see how that works.. i don't run any games, or anything really graphics intensive, so maybe it won't matter?

otherwise, i suppose i'll have to try cramming another psu in there.

wish me luck.

ati's x300 se is avaliable in agp, as is the nvdia 6200

the problem with vista (if the reason you are upgrading is to use the aero interface smoothy, gaming performance does matter as its all in 3D, a friend of mine has a 9600 with 512mb of ram and enabling Aero in that slows it down quite a bit, anyways good luck!

and the fx 5200 would more than likely use more power than a x300 or 6200, you would'nt need a new psu to run these cards

• 3 weeks later...
well, i ended up getting the 5200, and i haven't experienced any random shutdowns on my 200w PSU..

so, thanks for the help guys.

But, if the power supply isn't sufficient, that may show up as random crashes instead. You may get video corruption when running any 3D.

Symptoms to look for is video corruption and/or a crash in 3D Mark.

If 3D Mark passes, the power supply is sufficient.

Hi,

I was under the impression that you needed a card with hardware support for DirectX 9c to support the Aero desktop in Windows Vista?

I thought that the FX5200 was a DirectX 9 card, not DirectX 9c?

Is there some way to get the full Aero experience on such a graphics card?

Kind Regards

Simon