ClearType Tuning

bkraptor

dAbReAkA: Can't you notice the reddish and greenish tints all around the bolded text? I don't have XP installed any more so I can't post screenshots.

Screemer: thanks, but that link doesn't work for Vista.

First image is with ClearType, zoomed to 400%, 2nd image is the same thing with ClearType disabled.

post-26763-1163603281_thumb.png

post-26763-1163603294_thumb.png

Well, this is a matter of taste, and the problem here is not whether or not ClearType looks good or not, but rather how to tweak its settings like in XP.

<edit>

Here's another example. First image with ClearType on, there's a clear greenish tint to the whole text on the page, while the 2nd image with no ClearType has no greenish tint.

post-26763-1163606369_thumb.png

post-26763-1163606390_thumb.png

Edited by bkraptor

Someone call? :)

Anyway, in Vista; start up Help and Support - search for ClearType in the Help and Support - you get 9 results for 'cleartype' , click on the result 1, follow instructions for turning on 'ClearType'.

the cleartype tuner located on the internet at:

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleart...uner/Step1.aspx

doesn't work for Vista properly right now. However, the XP Power Toy does work for Vista for some people. You can get the power toy at: http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypePowerToy.mspx

ClearType for Internet Explorer needs to be turned on seperately in the Internet Options Advanced Settings.

I have an experimental registry file i'm testing. I'll post it when i'm done and sure it works for everyone.

Hope this helps.

well, it's clear that cleartype is clearer to see and i have always used it.. the thing is, how will the tweaked cleartype look like.. there might be some tweak to get it.. where's Spooky? :P

bkraptor;

There are four settings for cleartype, these are (if these were registry entries):

'ClearTypeLevel' = Describes the level of ClearType color clarity - value integer value that ranges from 0 to 100 and 100 is default, 0 renders grey scale

'GammaLevel' = Describes the level of the pixel color component for a display device. - integer value that ranges from 1000 to 2200. The default level is 1900.

'TextContrastLevel' = Describes the level of contrast for displayed text. The text contrast level allows you to adjust the rendering of text based on the stem widths of glyphs. The text contrast level is an integer value that ranges from 0 to 6 — the larger the integer value the wider the stem. The default level is 1.

'PixelStructure' = Describes the arrangement of pixels for a display device. The pixel structure corresponds to an integer value that ranges from 0 to 2. The default level is 0 which represents a flat pixel structure.

PixelStructure Values

Flat = 0 - The display device has no pixel structure. This means that light sources for each color are spread equally on the pixel area—this is referred to as gray scale rendering. This is how a standard display device works. ClearType is never applied to the rendered text.

RGB 1 - The display device has pixels that consist of three stripes in the following order: red, green, and blue. ClearType is applied to the rendered text.

BGR 2 - The display device has pixels that consist of three stripes in the following order: blue, green, and red. ClearType is applied to the rendered text.

The greenish tint you spoke of is probably an improper setting for the Pixel Structure.

Well, this is a matter of taste, and the problem here is not whether or not ClearType looks good or not, but rather how to tweak its settings like in XP.

<edit>

Here's another example. First image with ClearType on, there's a clear greenish tint to the whole text on the page, while the 2nd image with no ClearType has no greenish tint.

Edited by Spooky

OK, if someone wants to experiment with the registry settings i'm playing with here they are - use at your own risk, these are experimental only and i do not offer any gurantee. Add the below entries. Backup the registry area first just in case.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"ClearTypeLevel"=dword:00000064
"TextContrastLevel"=dword:00000001
"GammaLevel"=dword:0000076c
"PixelStructure"=dword:00000000

; 'ClearTypeLevel' = Describes the level of ClearType color clarity - value integer value that ranges from 0 to 100 and 100 is default, 0 renders grey scale

;'GammaLevel' = Describes the level of the pixel color component for a display device. - integer value that ranges from 1000 to 2200. The default level is 1900.

; 'TextContrastLevel' = Describes the level of contrast for displayed text. The text contrast level allows you to adjust the rendering of text based on the stem widths of glyphs. The text contrast level is an integer value that ranges from 0 to 6 — the larger the integer value the wider the stem. The default level is 1.

; 'PixelStructure' = Describes the arrangement of pixels for a display device. The pixel structure corresponds to an integer value that ranges from 0 to 2. The default level is 0 which represents a flat pixel structure.
;
; PixelStructure Values:

; Flat = 0 - The display device has no pixel structure. This means that light sources for each
; color are spread equally on the pixel area—this is referred to as gray scale rendering.
; This is how a standard display device works. ClearType is never applied to the rendered text.
;
; RGB 1 - The display device has pixels that consist of three stripes in the following order:
; red, green, and blue. ClearType is applied to the rendered text.

; BGR 2 - The display device has pixels that consist of three stripes in the following order:
; blue, green, and red. ClearType is applied to the rendered text.

; defaults are shown above

Edited by Spooky

Thanks for clarifying things for me, I still have one problem though.

The registry values you listed don't exist at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop. I manually created them, but tweaking them has no effect on the displayed text. Is there a reboot required? I also tried using the powertoy for XP, but that doesn't work either :(

You are aware of the fact that posting screenshots of ClearType can't actually show everyone else what it looks like on your monitor, since CT works at the device level?

To me, it just makes text look blurry and have funny colors... the sample with CT disabled looks much sharper and clear.

Edited by LLXX

I don't want to flame you, but if ClearType worked at the device level you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the screenshots with and without ClearType.

And I do agree, no ClearType looks better on bold or small text, but otherwise, for general reading it's way better with it on.

bkraptor;

Did you enable Clear Type first as I described further up (above the reg entry post I made) in this thread?.

Yes your correct, the reg entries don't normally exist, you have to create them. Yes, reboot to see changes. But Like I said, these are experimental and may not work for everyone at this time. They are also part of a larger registry project i'm working on for clear type on all devices.

Ohhhh, I forgot this....make sure you have font smoothing enabled. In that same reg key area you can find the font smoothing key, or you can enable it in the system - advanced settings. Sorry I forgot this.

The XP power Toy works fine for me, don't know why it isn't working for you. Are you using it while logged in as the Administrator? However, there are known mixed results with the XP Power toy for this.

Thanks for clarifying things for me, I still have one problem though.

The registry values you listed don't exist at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop. I manually created them, but tweaking them has no effect on the displayed text. Is there a reboot required? I also tried using the powertoy for XP, but that doesn't work either :(

LLXX is correct. Screen shots don't really help with describing what it actually looks like on your particular monitor/device. He is also correct that ClearType works at the device level. A particular device may be able to handle some aspects of ClearType but may not be able to handle all aspects of clear type, and some devices may not be able to handle any aspect of ClearType. Remember also that ClearType was originally specifically created to work with LCD type displays. As you have experienced, ClearType may make some things look better on some devices without the device being fully able to handle all aspects of ClearType, in particular the color arangements dealing with Pixels which were specifically intended for LCD devices.

I don't want to flame you, but if ClearType worked at the device level you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the screenshots with and without ClearType.

And I do agree, no ClearType looks better on bold or small text, but otherwise, for general reading it's way better with it on.

Edited by Spooky

You can also use the ClearType tuning tool found on the internet. Do a search in goole for 'ClearType_Tuning_Control_Panel_Applet'. It works for me. But remember, cleartype was intended for LCD devices, so a CRT device might not see the full advantages of cleartype but should see some improvement. Right click on the file and choose install to install it. It will install a control panel applet also so you can access it from the control panel.