Comodo Tools

StateS

Alright... I just only heard about these tools right now, and only because it was mentioned in a forum that I go to... It seems that this company, Comodo, has a series of internet security tools that they offer for free... I don't know if these tools are safe or not, or if they are any good... So... I was wondering if i could get some testimonials from some of the users from this forum. Has anyone ever used these tools? Mainly the Antivirus and FireWall. Are they any good?

Take a look at the reviews on download.com

Here's the first review I saw that seemed really informed. BTW, this is the review for the firewall:

Pros: The installer will request you to uninstall other firewalls (as highly recommended from me as possible), very good idea. The firewall passes the known tests (shiny star). I wasn't able to create a connection with a file which would pass the firewall's attention if all settings are on. The component monitor is a nice feature, which is mising from many other titles, this can help you to prevent executable injection technics (loading additional dll into an approved file). The simple rule createing is quite easy, click Add, specify the rules, click ok.

Another new feature is to specify parent, which can also pevent some hackers tricks (like somehow the guy gots rights for a command prompt and would like to launch an approved application), 1 more plus. For the best defense, the user specified setting is the best but you should change it to learn the parent at the first usages. Take care that even if you approve abcd1234.exe with an explorer.exe parent, you mightn't run it from - example - command prompt, etc.

The flood protection might help you to prevent DOS-based attacks, i think this can also prevent to work as a zombie.

You have the ability to save the log in HTML format, looks fine for a review.

It's free and i'll be later as well (Author sad) and the support through the forum is very good and it's userfriendly. They may even accept your ideas so you must give it a try!

Cons: After the first meeting i had problem with it and it took time to find the answers to all my problem at the forum. On the default level, too much basics are blocked (like to see mapped drive, etc.).

The popup windows - which asks permissions - won't be on top of any other windows which leads to many failures if the actual program covers the window. This might happen with full screen games, etc., which require Internet connection and even worse if they won't report back the Internet problems so you won't notice this as CPF will close the permission window asap. after the gamet (etc.) is closed. Not funny.

There are confusing messages which users won't be able understand (fe. allow iexplore question and the bottom part contains infos about notepad, etc.).

I really wonder why i _must_ activate the firewall with the free code. What if you want to use the firewall in a LAN environment where PCs can't access the Internet?

At current release, it'll ask if the example.exe can open ports, i sad no, then i'll ask to connect to 123.123.123.123 .... not too smart. Without opened ports there is no seven hell to establish the connection.

The Advance settings are not yet clear what can prevent and what can stop to work.

You can create rules which can kick each others, very funny....

I've opened a html file from my computer then CPF asked me if i allow IE to open up by a total commander parent... So many questions about these functions.

I'd suggest CSV format for log files, too.

Edited by CptMurphy

I’ve tried just about every firewall out there and I personally think (so far) that Comodo is the best.

Right now it’s sitting in my systray using 15K with Bittorrent and Soulseek full on.

It has never crashed unlike Zone alarm (which I used before).

And the forums are very helpful.