Older programs won't install with nLite 1.21

grrl

I'm trying to make a Win2K disk with the Unofficial SP5.1. Last week I posted a message about the My Computer icon not appearing either on the desktop or in Windows Explorer and there being dead drive icons in ExplorerPlus. I solved that problem by selecting My Computer under Tweaks (Desktop-My Computer icon-Show). It seems with nLite 1.21 (and maybe the previous one) you have to select My Computer for it to be installed. (I used to leave that box unchecked.)

Once I solved that problem I ran into another twist. Some older programs like Office 97, Photoshop 5.0, Presto! 3.0 and Money 98 wouldn't install. ntvdm.exe starts up but nothing else happens - there is no error message and no setup dialog appears. However, when using the same INI file in both nLite 1.21 and 1.01, only the 1.01 install works.

What has changed in the latest versions that is causing this problem?

Edited by grrl

Nlite 1.2.1 does have some changes I have noticed things do run different then they used to. However your setup is unique.

Whos update pack thats unofficial, are you using? There is also some blame that could be put on that for why your apps do not work. Some of the files are altered in those update packs and may be the reason your apps act up. Also you are using some pretty old apps. I would make sure you have versions completely compatable with the newest updates for w2k (your unofficail pack).

Hope that helps

Nlite 1.2.1 does have some changes I have noticed things do run different then they used to. However your setup is unique.

Whos update pack thats unofficial, are you using? There is also some blame that could be put on that for why your apps do not work. Some of the files are altered in those update packs and may be the reason your apps act up. Also you are using some pretty old apps. I would make sure you have versions completely compatable with the newest updates for w2k (your unofficail pack).

Hope that helps

I've used the Gurgelmeyer SP5.1 update with Win2k and all of those programs before with no problems. I only started having problems when I tried to make a new disk with version 1.2.1, so it must be something nLite is doing differently.

Have you kept 16bit support and Application Compatibility Patch?

Yes.

Thinking about Madhit's suggestion, I used 1.01 to integrate the service pack and hotfixes, then used 1.21 to do the last few modifications to the setup disk. That eliminated all the problems with the installation of the older programs.

So, the question remains, what is being done differently in the two versions of nLite?

hmm interesting using both nlites to do the work. I never thought of that. I believed the issues I had with nlite stemed from integration but I never got an error when installing just everything acting weird part way through the install or once I was in windows. So your lil test difinately shows something. What parts of nlite 1.2.1 did you use?

I will also try this and see what happens with my install.

Edited by Madhits45

hmm interesting using both nlites to do the work. I never thought of that. I believed the issues I had with nlite stemed from integration but I never got an error when installing just everything acting weird part way through the install or once I was in windows. So your lil test difinately shows something. What parts of nlite 1.2.1 did you use?

I will also try this and see what happens with my install.

I used 1.0.1 to do all the tweaks and integration. 1.2.1 was only used to remove Visual Basic (turns out I needed it for another program, so I DL'ed it from MS), ESENT and Drive Format Support. Stuff I really don't 'have' to eliminate, but I wanted to experiment with it.

• 1 month later...

Like grrl, I'm also unable to run 16-bit apps.

I used nLite 1.2.1 to create a slimmed down Windows 2000 Pro SP4 CD, while keeping both 16-bit support and the Application Compatibility Patch.

After installing this Win2k, I first noticed problems when I tried to install an old 32-bit app (UltraEdit v4.3) that uses the 16-bit "stub" installer. Later, trying to run a 16-bit game was also a no-go. In both cases, Task Manager shows NTVDM.EXE hogging the CPU, but neither WOWEXEC.EXE nor the 16-bit app itself ever appear with it.

For now, I've downgraded nLite back to v1.0.1.

I'm curious: Is this issue being looked at in v1.3 of nLite?

Madhits45, try 1.3 RC when it comes out and let me know how it behaves for you. Also write down exact errors you get next time, failing every install is kinda weird, may meant that your MSI installer is broken...anyway try the next one.

Hey guys... I too am having a problem that, for two weeks, I have not been able to resolve. The last nlite build that I have had success with is 1.2RC. I just cannot figure out what it is i'm doing wrong, but, over half of my addons are not getting installed... including IE, Firefox and others. I've included attachments if anyone has time to check it out for me. I've included my November build and my January build.

I have been using nlite for over a year and this is the first real problem I have encountered. It is a great product and I really love it.

Thanks... Broncobil

post-84656-1167885452_thumb.jpg

post-84656-1167885487_thumb.jpg

LAST_SESSION.INI

LAST_SESSION.INI