Weird problems with XP accessing the floppy drive randomly and other t

shockme17

I've noticed this strange thing happening when i open certain programs. I'll open WMP11 and it will access the floppy a: drive for some reason. This happens with a few other programs as well and I don't understand why. I've never installed anything from that drive or used it since I've installed the OS. I have MCE with all of the latest updates from windowsupdate.

Also, If I delete a file from within Explorer, the window doesn't always refresh to reflect the change. This also happens when I cut/paste a file to another location. I can manually hit F5 to refresh the window, but I don't know why it doesn't refresh automatically.

If anyone has any idea on how to remedy these problems, I'd be very grateful.

Much thanks in advance

It could very well be the antivirus software, but disabling all non-Microsoft explorer shell extensions (via shellexview from nirsoft.net) and startup items (autoruns from sysinternals) is a good way to check for other things. After the changes, a reboot should tell you whether that has made a change in behavior or not.

thanks for the help guys.. the only thing is that i'm not running any antivirus software, and i run explorer in a single window (not seperate process) i'll try uninstalling styler, and any IE7 addins to see if it helps.. but i'm not certain it will.

i just did a fresh reinstall of this a few weeks ago.. i don't believe i had anything different in my old installation and explorer worked fine, and the a: drive was never accessed..

i'll try running an antivirus, but i run the adaware and spybot weekly, along with tweaknow's regcleaner..

any other suggestions would be appreciated..

thanks again!

i didn't mean to scare you with the virus mention, only reason i said that is because really really ancient virii would often automatically access the a or b drive to infect the bootsector. i don't think virii like that have been in the wild for years and years.

personally i'd just yank the drive out and throw it in the trash...problem solved ;)

Do this, insert a floppy disk, doesn't matter which. Access it via My Computer, let it load completely until the green light on the floppy drive turns off. You're done. I had a similar problem in a class. Apperently the PC wasn't done reading the contents because I had pulled it out while it was still reading it.

thanks, but like i said in the original post, i've never used the drive before. plus, in your case, sounds like a reboot wouldve fixed the problem as well.

You know, I had tried that as well, and it never helped. At first I thought it was some stupid little lamer getting into my system using sub-seven, but someone else told me to try that and it worked. IIRC, I also disabled some media service which caused the issue to stop around the same time. Don't remember which one though, sorry. :no: