windows activation ?

MICHELLIN

that method only works if the file was created on the PC your trying to unattended activate. cant be from another PC

Sorry I don't actually know where the file is suppose to reside as I have never tried this.

Im assuming you've got a winnt.sif in i386 which enabled the OEM state

you will need both wpa.dbl and wpa.bak

that method only works if the file was created on the PC your trying to unattended activate. cant be from another PC

Sorry I don't actually know where the file is suppose to reside as I have never tried this.

Im assuming you've got a winnt.sif in i386 which enabled the OEM state

you will need both wpa.dbl and wpa.bak

why do i need both files ????????????

ooooooooops

sorry ppl

but then again...............

i've paid for my copy of windows cd haven't i....????????????

You may have paid, but you've only paid for ONE license meaning ONE machine install. Which is stupid as hell but I'm not going into that. You can legally install windows on a different machine as long as you remove that installation from the previous one. It all goes down to having it on one machine, or making it so that only one machine is seen on the net. :sneaky:

Microsoft has a guide on this, they pretty much suggest you install from behind a firewall and activate over the internet using info placed in winnt.sif, i think. (it's vol lic. for me.). Google is your friend, try a search.

Edited by thuun derboy

• 4 weeks later...

Are you attempting the recovery on a freshly formatted hard disk?

If you've formatted, your drives "Volume Serial Number" will be different from the first time you activated. I believe this info may be tied into the original wpa.dbl & wpa.bak files.

Its not activating, because its seeing the "new" volume serial number of the drive; even though its the same drive. The new volume serial number may be triggering to recheck the hardware hash again and reactivate if needed.

There is a utility that will allow you to rename the drive's volume serial number (I believe its called, "VOLUMEID"

Take this with a grain of salt; i'm no expert by any means; just throwing possibilities out there.