Internet to breakdown?

Mr Microsoft

In a way, the internet is getting overloaded, but there are things like distributed file sharing (P2P) that will help lighten the load. Anyways, they'll just make the pipes bigger and keep expanding the backbones with more fiber.

In a way, the internet is getting overloaded, but there are things like distributed file sharing (P2P) that will help lighten the load. Anyways, they'll just make the pipes bigger and keep expanding the backbones with more fiber.

hmm i dont believe they will make the pipes bigger nore change the thickness of fiber optics, but the wave of the future lies is Internet2 technology,, it may be implemented within the next 10 years or sooner,

basically internet now is limited in speed by its structer, some scientist are working on redefining the way its structer works,,

in the same process they have been able to improve data transfer with record breaking speeds,,

i believe the last test news breaking tet was done about 2 to 3 years ago, the test ran was 2 servers 9800 miles or so in distance apart and they were able to transfer about

transferred 859 gigabytes of data in less than 17 minutes. It did so at a rate of 6.63 gigabits per second (define) between the CERN facility in Geneva, Switzerland, and Caltech in Pasadena, Calif., a distance of more than 15,766 kilometers, or approximately 9,800 miles.

super fast id say but i believe thats the wave of the future if you wanna read more about it,, heres 1 article,, you can read up more by searching in google on internet2

http://www.internetnews.com/infra/article.php/3403161

i think the bigger issue is "who" will handle content in the future. like many other freedoms in the US, and world-wide, the age of "freedom of information" on the internet is coming to a close as the government and major corporations (one of the same) are exercising more control over the content and who can access what. i watched a very disturbing hearing or meeting on CNN a few months back in which it was blatantly obvious that all of the major players (verizon, comcast, google, M$, etc., they were all there) are, and will continue, to cave in to government pressure regarding censorship. also in the pipe is how content will be made available, so, as a "paying" customer, verizon, for instance, will have more bandwidth dedicated to their servers for distributing products and services while 'joe homie', who has no corporate connections, will have bandwidth to his site cut because he can't afford to compete. in effect, this will help "steer" people to where the corporate giants want you to go.

Edited by atomizer

• 2 weeks later...

The big problem with Internet2 is it gets much of its speed from being a private network and hence having a lot less traffic.

As for Net Neutrality (atomizer's sig), isn't the goal of that to prevent people from being able to pay for higher bandwidth priority?

As for Net Neutrality (atomizer's sig), isn't the goal of that to prevent people from being able to pay for higher bandwidth priority?

Exactly, so that large companies with large budgets (ie: Microsoft, Amazon, Google) cannot override the traffic from independant people (such as MSFN, personal websites, etc).