Can't get autorun to work on Removable Media

bongo333

G'day all need help I can't get my mass storage device ( Media card Reader) to autorun so that I can select the Copy pictures using Camera and scanner wizard I've tried the Change registry mods EG: change to 1 and also the 2 change to 95 but to no success any ideas

I've tried the Change registry mods EG: change to 1 and also the 2 change to 95 but to no success any ideas

It's not clear what parameters you actually tried to change. Download TweakUI and set the autoplay options in there: My computer - Autoplay - Drives / Types.

Sorry I'll be more specific

There is no option to enable or disable automatically running CD-ROMs in the user interface. To enable or disable automatically running CD-ROMs, you must edit the registry:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then press ENTER.

2. Locate and click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom

3. To disable automatically running CD-ROMs, change the Autorun value to 0 (zero). To enable automatically running CD-ROMs, change the Autorun value to 1.

4. Restart your computer.

NOTE: This method disables automatically running CD-ROMs. If you want to disable automatically running CD-ROMs depending on the CD-ROM that you insert in the CD-ROM drive, you can press and hold down one of the SHIFT key while you insert the CD-ROM.

Back to the top Back to the top

Additional Information

There are two other registry keys that can affect this functionality:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

NoDriveTypeAutoRun = 0x00000095

-and-

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

NoDriveTypeAutoRun = 0x00000095

The correct value for each is 0x00000095.

That is what I did but to no luck

why have autorun enabled? that is how Sony managed to install their rootkit without peoples knowledge and with it disabled you have more control over what happens when devices are plugged in and cd's are inserted
That was my initial thought as well.

oioldman & LLXX

First of all, Sony installed rootkit via CD, and typically CD-ROMs are not considered removable media.

Secondly, autorun is not intended for advanced users who know what to do when they insert a medium or plug in a flash drive. It is aimed at people who need guidance and use Windows Explorer. Many of them find this small dialog box very useful whenever they connect a camera or a flash drive. It may be the case with "in laws", btw.

Finally, we're just trying to restore the original Windows functionality here, so the question seems pretty reasonable to me.

Cheers :)

Edited by Vadikan

• 2 weeks later...

OK well I installed Tweak UI but it did sweet F,A still no autorun now as for why I want autorun this is an error on the inlaws computer a.k.a Not very Tech Minded . All they want is when they insert their SD Media card into the reader they want the Camera/Scanner Wizard to work as that makes their lives a heap easier to transfer Photo's etc. Please I'm running out of ideas