Best way to restore icons

gui_m

Custom icons for what?

If you are refering to the "my computer, network, documents and recycle bin" the you could use a theme and put the hacked uxtheme.dl_ file on your disk. then use the below command in winnt.sif

[Shell]
   CustomDefaultThemeFile = "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Windows\Resources\Themes\yourtheme.theme"
   DefaultStartPanelOff = No
   DefaultThemesOff = No

if you are after changing icons like the default yellow folder or other icons that are contained in various .dll files then you would need to edit those files with a resource editor and then use the hacked sfc .dll to turn off wfp and replace those files and then turn wfp back on.

I have found a way of changing the default folder icon via the registry but it requires you to flush the icon cache and i havent found a way to do that yet without the help of tweakui or a simaler program.

I guess its possible to apply the above fix to other icons but i didnt look as i was only interested in a blue folder :)

As i said above there is a way to change icons that are contained in shell32.dll without editing or touching shell32.dll.

Use regedit and find this key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons\

In the section you will find a bunch of numbers that refer to the icons in shell32.dll

If you edit the number that represents the icon you wish to change and point it to a new icon then it will change it but there is a catch.

You need to flush out the icon cache and i havent found a way to do this without using the option in tweakui to "Rebuild Icons"

There is a catch to doing that and that it will loose all your desktop and icon positions.

As i said before all i wanted was a blue desktop folder instead of a yellow one - so i havent played with any of the other numbers except #3