Why is vista start button so fugly?

Power350

so why is the start button so ugly in vista. I mean, heck, ms could have payed 500 to someone to do better than that. heck they could of got a whole new ui that no one could come close to for free by someone at deviantart....what gives why are they so....boring with the windows ui....doesn't make since and appears as if they took 5 min. deciding what it would look like and 1 year getting the transparency to work...grrrrrr...atleast ALLOW us to change the ui with custom themes by default!!!

Edited by Power350

Why would they want let us be able to easily change the ui? It would be just way to easy. But, I must disagree with you when you said it appears as if it had taken 5 min. Microsoft put lots of time and hard work into it. It is just to bad it takes up so much system resources. I would like to be able to create themes and stuff, but I don't have time to work with it enough, and I can't find a theme out there that I personally like. So I stick with Microsoft's themes. Basically thats what most people do. They are saticfied with the themes that Microsoft gives them.

I must disagree with you when you said it appears as if it had taken 5 min. Microsoft put lots of time and hard work into it.

Same here. It's a matter of preferences. It doesn't matter what the end result is, some people just won't like it no matter what. They have usability experts and graphic/sound artists working for them (they've spent 18 months to make the sounds!), so it's kinda hard to say it's a 5 minute hack job. I find the results pretty good (this is pretty much the first complaint I hear about the start menu so far, so chances are lots of other ppl don't mind it). As always, if you don't like it, there's going to be more themes and stuff for sure.

Edited by crahak

The classic UI looks like it has in past versions for the most part. Some things are a little "re-arranged" but for the most part its 'Classic' depending on how one adjusts the settings.

I'd like to see some screenshots of Vista under the Classic UI. Especially interested in how the toolbars, control panel, start menu look, compared to the Classic UI under XP.

i think i have some screenshots of vista beta 2, 5536 under classic mode. ill look for em.

edit: yup, here they are

main desktop

th_screen6.jpg

start menu expanded

th_startmenu2.jpg

start menu

th_startmenu.jpg

ill see if i can find more later on.

Edited by Cygnus

The first one looks nearly like XP, but it's obvious that in the second and third ones all they did was remove the skinning; as a result it looks nothing like "real" classic mode (i.e. classic start menu and all).