Vista is Leaked

Aegis

I don't think the current activation hack poses a big threat to Microsoft myself. Obviously it does give the hackers a head start into a different activation hacl, but for those who don't know (and I wont say how), the current hack involves using a Beta key to activate, but at a cost of it becoming a trial, expiring on 31st May 2007.

I'm just wondering, hopefully I'll get a VL with Vista... Is it going to be like XP where different license versions (OEM, Retail, VL) are on different disks? Or is EVERYTHING now on one DVD?

... developing Windows costs many, many millions of dollars, and since Microsoft is a for-profit company, ROI is important. If that means Vista retails for over a certain price and people and companies (and OEM vendors) will buy it, that is what will be charged ...

I am a consumer and I will not be paying these exorbitant prices for Vista. The only version worth getting (IMO) is Ultimate, and $400? Nah, I'll pass. I don't give a h00t about how much and how long they spent developing Vista. I have been excited about Vista since the first Longhorn alpha build(4015). If you look back at the plans for Vista back in 02-03 and what they are charging leaves a lot to be desired (IMO). Is it a major improvement? Yes. Am I going to rush out in January to buy it? No. When my needs eventually require that I upgrade, maybe, just maybe it will be discounted or it will be as readily available illegally as XP is today. If I ever buy it, it will be a single copy of Ultimate and I will do what I need to do to install in on ALL of my machines, to hell with "devices." Maybe "gaming" will no longer be my main use of a computer, in which case I will not NEED Windows AT ALL!

Sure, but what's the return on investment of few people buying it? I'm sure Vista will eventually become the dominant OS on the market, but mostly due to OEM inclusions and piracy. I honestly think the percentage of people that currently have Windows XP and will buy Vista is very small.

I agree with you completely. There are plenty of people with more money than sense who will run out and buy it, but not the majority.

the crack will work but no updates or WGA support

Thats why there are third party update sites and custom installs w/ hotfixes :sneaky:. Seriously though, there are those of us who refuse to accept WGA even though we have licenses for our Microsoft products. They won't even let me download directx9.0c from their website without WGA.

Think this way: most music transferred online is done via P2P, and not legally purchased from any online store, but the cost of a legal download is at most a dollar or two per track or 12 - 15 dollars per disc.

I will pay for music just as soon as EVERY recording artist, movie star, athlete, and any other misc. celebrity gets a salary cap of $60,000 a year, CDs of 20 songs or more cost $5, and concert tickets cost < $40. If movie stars didn't get paid $20 million a movie, it wouldn't cost $10 to go to the theater and DVDs wouldn't cost $25. Thanks much, bye.

Edited by monallo

Vista was purposely leaked. It's cheap advertising. The (internet) media eats this stuff up... everyone from the little girls crying about not getting their MSDN copy 1st to the raving pirates on torrent sites and newsgroups knows that vista is about to be released. And, to be honest, if you plan to buy the OS when it does come out, what's the harm (besides it being [technically] illegal.)

Mr Bill Gates :angel (and his nifty MS team :thumbup ) even provided the temporary crack and key ;)

Edited by ebin25

Vista was purposely leaked. It's cheap advertising. The (internet) media eats this stuff up... everyone from the little girls crying about not getting their MSDN copy 1st to the raving pirates on torrent sites and newsgroups knows that vista is about to be released. And, to be honest, if you plan to buy the OS when it does come out, what's the harm (besides it being [technically] illegal.)

Mr Bill Gates :angel (and his nifty MS team :thumbup ) even provided the temporary crack and key ;)

I seriously doubt that. Obviously if it was leaked before it even hit stores then someone down the production line made a copy and the leak was internal, but to say it was intentional, I wouldn't say so. I'm sure there's been some internal investigations done at microsoft.

I doubt if MS leaked it. Can you imagine what would happen if it was discovered the very company that justifies all this stuff for anti-piracy and the prices of its products by claiming piracy is the reason was found to have been the source of the leak? Every computer, hard drive, database, anything at all would be taken as evidence in the ensuing investigation and thus for all purposes shut down MS. They would then become the most infamous pirate of them all.

I will pay for music just as soon as EVERY recording artist, movie star, athlete, and any other misc. celebrity gets a salary cap of $60,000 a year

The problem with the music logic is that every time you legally get a record or download from iTunes, the majority of the money goes to Apple and the record company. Probably $0.20 of $0.99 goes to the artist. It's completely sad.