Vista is Leaked

Aegis

just ripping fonts/wallpaper/sounds/icons bill can keep the rest :D

Oh, so you're keeping the useless (and annoying/ugly) bits and ditching:

the new kernel (better threading, deadlock detection, transactions for file/registry ops, I/O scheduling and prioritization, improved memory manager, improved processes scheduler, new heap manager, etc), new network stack (IPv6, has profiles, etc), new audio stack, the finally somewhat locked down IE7, the new windows installer, the improved system restore, the new task manager, the new shell, the new search, the new apps (like the photo gallery) and all the overhauled ones, the new media center app, the new web/app server (IIS7), DirectX 10, the new firewall (supports IPv6 for new network stack), BitLocker, Windows Defender, the parental controls, the new disk imaging/deployment tools, speech recognition and synthesis in 8 languages, totally redone printing subsystem, the user-mode drivers (to avoid BSODs caused by countless crappy drivers), superfetch, readyboost, new MMC, better group policies, improved task scheduler, new command line tools, improved scripting (e.g. WMI), WPF/WCF/WWF/WCS (.NET 3.0 stuff), Aero Glass, Flip 3D, new fonts and font support, RAW image support, new dialogs, the service hardening and countless other security measures, the faster installation and better installer, the sidebar, new games, the mobility center and sideshow for laptops, previous versions, UAC, file and registry virtualization, ASLA (and finally decent NX bit support, good heap & stack overlow detection, etc), SMB 2.0, and countless other improvements and all the latest great stuff?

That's exactly like putting the XP wallpapers on a Win9x OS - talk about lipstick on a pig! (and ugly lipstick at that)

Funnily, the annoying and useless sounds is the very first thing I remove from any windows installation, only followed by wallpapers. But I'll definitely be using what you referred to as "the rest" B)

Edit: Erm, looks like someone's post disappeared...

Edited by crahak

That new kernel you're so enthusiastic about also includes a number of new DRM measures built-in. Heard the new network and audio stacks are good though (lower latency). The rest of the things you mention are applications you can easily get for XP (desktop search, command-line tools, disk imaging, parental controls, Windows Defender, fonts, etc). And most people get bored (irritated) of Aero in a few weeks, anyway.

That new kernel you're so enthusiastic about also includes a number of new DRM measures built-in.

Not that much really. Protected Video Path? Big deal. It's just not going to affect people all that much. Videos off my video server are going to work just fine, no extra DRM anywhere involved...

The rest of the things you mention are applications you can easily get for XP (desktop search, command-line tools, disk imaging, parental controls, Windows Defender, fonts, etc).

A small part of the new apps shipping with Vista can be found for XP indeed. But for the most part (like 99% of the new stuff), you can't, the feature can't be added using 3rd party software (that doesn't exist either).

And most people get bored (irritated) of Aero in a few weeks, anyway.

I don't know about that. Mac fanboys seemingly love their new 3D gui thing, and lots of people are all over XGL. I won't be using it regardless...

I'm running Server 2003, with most of those back ported apps (IE7/WMP11/.NET3/Powershell/MMC3/With More to come in 2K3 SP2) already installed, so not really missing much, only aero and dx10. remember Vista is already lipstick on a pig (vista is built on 2003 server) so i'm just using the same lipstick, just a little different shade of colour :P

Edited by Lemonzest

I'm running Server 2003, with most of those back ported apps (IE7/WMP11/.NET3/Powershell/MMC3/With More to come in 2K3 SP2) already installed, so not really missing much, only aero and dx10.

Geez, that's 2 posts in a rows somehow about "a few of the included new apps being the new OS" or something. You're getting perpahs 5% of the new OS, via a lot of updates. It's FAR from being Vista... And IE7 for XP/2003 is not exactly the same as Vista's. BTW, There is no WMP 11 for Win 2003, just go to their download page, and you'll get the "There is no download available for this operating system. To get Windows Media Player 10, please go to Windows Update and install Windows Server 2003 SP1 or later." error message (yes, it can be made to install, but it's hardly "backported" for it).

vista is built on 2003 server

Yeah, and 2003 is built on XP, and XP is built on 2000, and 2000 is built on NT, so Vista is just NT 3.1, right? "Built-on" means absolutely nothing. That's like saying the Mona Lisa is built on paint and is nothing more than that.

You'll still be missing DX10, the new kernel, the new audio stack, the new network stack, the improved scripting (like new WMI classes), the new group policies, etc. Pretty much all of Vista, except a handful of back ported apps really (one of which being inferior, and one not even meant to install).

I'll be ditching 2003 for LH Server the very second it comes out. Especially if you use 2003 as a server (its intended purpose), then you might want things like IIS7, which will never be back ported.

Edit: Seemingly Office 2007 Enterprise was just leaked too, eh.

Edited by crahak

Mr. Crahak, sir...I think you forgot to mention the 10-15% FPS decrease in games...:D

your right, but that would be expect when the entire graphics rendering engine is redone (ie areo) once game manufacturers get patchs out for vista and with DX9L comes out that will go away, and truthfully i have lost about 10 fps average in all my games, something isn't even noticable to most people

Mr. Crahak, sir...I think you forgot to mention the 10-15% FPS decrease in games...:D

I don't ever play games, so I wouldn't know (a 100% FPS decrease in games is perfectly fine by me :lol:). But new games are eventually going to require DirectX 10, so you'll have little choice in the matter.

And as fixban2 said, it'll likely improve soon enough (once Vista's actually "out" and that we have DirectX 10 cards and such).

As far as the leaked copy of Vista, it's still pretty useless after 30 days without a key (although I'm sure someone will probably get around that soon enough). I guess people feel that since the internet is basically free, anything found on it should be as well, even though using any software package you didn't pay for (assuming it isn't open source) is akin to thievery. I won't get into flame wars about the cost of software, loss of revenue stated by companies due to software piracy, etc., but that's just my two cents.

They already got around the key issue, and the activation issue, in just a little over 24 hours after the leaked RTM hit the net its just that everyone doesn't have the 'fix' yet but they will. This is going to probably be one of the most pirated OS's in years. Its a shame really.

As far as the leaked copy of Vista, it's still pretty useless after 30 days without a key (although I'm sure someone will probably get around that soon enough). I guess people feel that since the internet is basically free, anything found on it should be as well, even though using any software package you didn't pay for (assuming it isn't open source) is akin to thievery. I won't get into flame wars about the cost of software, loss of revenue stated by companies due to software piracy, etc., but that's just my two cents.

... And most people get bored (irritated) of Aero in a few weeks, anyway. ...

I actually got motion sickness from Aero in the first few hours of using RC2. :|

... You'll still be missing DX10 ...

I think that will change. I'm certain that there is going to be enough pressure from users who are going to keep Windows XP that they won't have a choice to support DX10 for XP. Remember when they said they refused to change the Vista's no-tranferring of license clause in the EULA? After enough pressure, that changed. Same's gonna happen with DX10.

... I guess people feel that since the internet is basically free, anything found on it should be as well, even though using any software package you didn't pay for (assuming it isn't open source) is akin to thievery. I won't get into flame wars about the cost of software, loss of revenue stated by companies due to software piracy, etc., but that's just my two cents. ...
... This is going to probably be one of the most pirated OS's in years. Its a shame really. ...

The problem is the outrageous pricing that Microsoft chooses for it's software. Last I heard, before WGA, 75% of all computers that were running XP had pirated copies. What's more revenue? 25% of installed copies at $250 or 100% of installed copies at $75? If prices were more reasonable, there would be less piracy.

Edited by jcarle

The problem is the outrageous pricing that Microsoft chooses for it's software. Last I heard, before WGA, 75% of all computers that were running XP had pirated copies. What's more revenue? 25% of installed copies at $250 or 100% of installed copies at $75? If prices were more reasonable, there would be less piracy.

True, and most of the computers might need hardware upgradation too. That all adds up to some big amount. This certainly is deterrent for many including me!

I may wait for a year or more to get Vista!