Linux and Multi-Boot

fevoldj2

I want to choose between the x86-32 version of Debian and the x86-64 version. They'll stomp all over each other if they're both in the root. Plus the root will be terribly untidy :-)

You sound like you want both Knoppix and DSL available as options.

So there's two good reasons to figure out how to achieve this.

BTW: Slax is easy to move out of the root: it must be easy if a dufus like me can manage it! I've left the details either in this forum or in the slax ones.

You're not a dufus, the crew at Slax made easy for everybody ! :)

'Young padawon, misunderstand me, you do. Relocation that you seek, REMASTER you must !', he said in impeccable Yoda-speak :ph34r:

Seriously, the forum for every distro I've visited has at least one Remastering topic and there's decent (general) activity on the LiveCDNews forum too. Who knows if you're really clever you mite just GOOGLE this out. Other people want to relocate, prob for diff reasons, so the ans are out there.

I hope to return to this next week and perhaps help out....

Guys: While I was setting up a new browser on my system, I got an acct on the kubuntu forum and found the following: UbuntuRemaster. It's consistent w/ what I've been suggesting and although it isn't the Holy Grail to relocation, section 1.4 refers to preseed.cfg, which mite be the ans. Check it out....

Here are two more links, going deeper into the subj of remastering live CDs. Actually, the link to PCQuest looks to be pretty promising:

http://www.livedistro.org/search/node/*dvd?PHPSESSID=23c032f3d9b273b86982187ca5b83087
http://www.pcquest.com/content/enterprise/2005/105070101.asp

For my part, I haven't tried these yet, bec I got sidetraked into building an Ethernet->Fixed WiFi router :thumbup and I actually added Kubuntu 6.10 :) to the same disc, which now has BartPE, Slax KillBill (Desktop), Slax Server (my new router), Knoppix, and CHNTPW. Interesting, but in the final analysis, not as productive as I'd hoped. But, c'est la vie....

Just thought I'd better reply to this topic since I've left it alone for while.

I'm still interested in developing a universal strategy, if thats possible.

Since multi-booting Windows and many tools has been covered over and over I feel this topic could become quite invaluable over time!

I've been very busy lately but rest assured I be back on the mission soon.

-kof94

• 4 weeks later...

I think I've found something really useful.

I've mentioned in previous posts about how to boot isolinux through CDShell using it's inbuilt functioanlity. The only draw back with this is you have to script each command you require individually into your CDShell menu.

Well, I've found a new way.

I've been struggling to get Gparted to boot this way, all I seam to get is a kernal sync error (what ever that is). So, I decided to boot the entire iso image using diskemu instead to see what would happen.

The result of this is, I now have a fully functioning isolinux boot menu as if you were running it from the original disc.

The only problem is, it can't find the source files.

Obviously gparted looks for a cd-rom containing the program itself, in this case a file called gparted. So, I copied this file to the root of my disc and deleted it from the .iso. Now all the iso contains is the isolinux folder and the source file is on the disc. Now the whole thing boots.

So, in conclusion.

If you wish to boot isolinux through CDShell, copy the source files from the original .iso to the same locations on your disc. Then delete them from the .iso leaving just the isolinux folder remaining (this will also reduce the size of the imge). Now simply boot the .iso image using diskemu.

I know this seams very definitive and I'm sure there will be situations where this wont work (here you can see me covering my a**) but whilst I've been writing this I've also tried this on Acronis True Image, guess what, it works.

Tomorrow I will be testing this on Ubuntu and Knoppix (and anything else I can get my hands on) so I'll keep you posted.

-kof94

• 3 weeks later...

KOF94: Just a quikie about our running discussion. As I pointed out on the Knoppix thread, there are cheatcodes in the latest-greatest KNOPPIX (5.11) that permit the compressed-image file to be renamed and relocated. They're explicitly documented, so I'll leave that to you.

In working out issues w/ my fav Linux distro (Slax), I've discovered what's almost certainly the answer to similar issues w/ other distros, like KUBUNTU, where there are no known suitable cheatcodes. It's the initial ramdisk image. This isn't a newbie effort and don't know when I can do it and pass it along to you, but here goes in case you have the goods for dealing w/ a Linux shell-script.

You need to boot the desired distro, along w/ the initrd in compressed form (the .gz file.) Next, assuming the file is called initrd.gz, you'll need to do something like:

mount /mnt/hda1
mkdir /mnt/hda1/rd
cp initrd.gz /mnt/hda1
cd /mnt/hda1
gzip initrd.gz
mount -t ext2 -vo loop /mnt/hda1/initrd /mnt/hda1/rd

Next, edit the init shell-script, which is prob called linuxrc, in /mnt/hda1/rd, as in:

vi /mnt/hda1/rd/linuxrc

What needs to happen is to add new cheatocdes, to relocate/rename the compressed-image. Once you've made your changes:

umount /mnt/hda1/rd
gzip -9 initrd

Reburn your CD w/ the updated initrd.gz and try your new cheatcodes.

If any of this seems comfusing, I'm sorry, but that is what needs to be done. Given that distros don't change very often and components like the ramdisk sometimes don't change at all (from rev-to-rev), this approach would work well.

Right now, I need to focus on paying work. Maybe, in the coming week, I can spare some time, bang it out and share. TTYL....

To be honest I've pretty much given up on re-mastering and/or modding Linux for my disc.

At present my disc structure is quite clean, especially since I found that you only actually need four folders for Ubuntu at the root of the disc.

I've also put my new booting process into practice (still using CDShell) and that's working a charm. I now have the full, original isolinux boot menu system for any OS or util that requires it. This has also enabled me to use all cheat codes and options that would normally be available.

I can't see me using two OS's of the same type on my disc as I don't really require it i.e. I'm not considering Ubuntu and Kubuntu on the same disc!

I'm still interested in this tread though because there isn't really another thread in this forum that just focuses on Linux. We should try to keep it going!

Laters.

To be honest I've pretty much given up on re-mastering and/or modding Linux for my disc.

At present my disc structure is quite clean, especially since I found that you only actually need four folders for Ubuntu at the root of the disc.

I've also put my new booting process into practice (still using CDShell) and that's working a charm. I now have the full, original isolinux boot menu system for any OS or util that requires it. This has also enabled me to use all cheat codes and options that would normally be available.

I can't see me using two OS's of the same type on my disc as I don't really require it i.e. I'm not considering Ubuntu and Kubuntu on the same disc!

I'm still interested in this tread though because there isn't really another thread in this forum that just focuses on Linux. We should try to keep it going!

Laters.

It isn't too much work and I want to at least look at the files to see what's req'd. Little jobs like this are the best way to one's feet wet in a new lang, like BASH. Make a relatively simple change and implement it. Will keep you apprised in this space. TTYL....Jet

@Jetman

Ok, I want to convert my whole menu/boot system to isolinux/syslinux instead of CDShell. And I'm serious this time.

I've been looking at the two included menu systems but I need help to get a system the same/similar as the Ubuntu boot menu.

Apart from the look and feel, I like the fact you can drop to a prompt that allows you to modify the boot command of the menu entry you have selected!

I have some questions though:

1. This type of menu seams to use something called gfxboot, How does this work?

2. How would I go about creating submenus?

3. How exactly do I create a usable background image?

4. I've obviously used cdimage in the past but know I'll need to convert to mkisofs instead. What are the best param's for Windows and Linux on the same disc and can you optimise the image (write duplicate files once) with it?

If you have any better suggestions about making a funky menu system then go ahead, I'm now a n00b again :huh: !

I do have more questions specific to booting certain things but getting a usable menu system up and running is first on my list.

Thanks

-kof94

@Jetman

Ok, I want to convert my whole menu/boot system to isolinux/syslinux instead of CDShell. And I'm serious this time.

I've been looking at the two included menu systems but I need help to get a system the same/similar as the Ubuntu boot menu.

Apart from the look and feel, I like the fact you can drop to a prompt that allows you to modify the boot command of the menu entry you have selected!

I have some questions though:

1. This type of menu seams to use something called gfxboot, How does this work?

2. How would I go about creating submenus?

3. How exactly do I create a usable background image?

4. I've obviously used cdimage in the past but know I'll need to convert to mkisofs instead. What are the best param's for Windows and Linux on the same disc and can you optimise the image (write duplicate files once) with it?

If you have any better suggestions about making a funky menu system then go ahead, I'm now a n00b again :huh: !

I do have more questions specific to booting certain things but getting a usable menu system up and running is first on my list.

Thanks

-kof94

KOF: I'm glad you've finally seen the light. I was just about to rat you out to the Thought Police for your sojourn w/ CDSHELL. Now that appears unnec. :D

Seriously, I just discovered that the SYSLINUX pkg has an important upgrade (3.35). Get it pronto, if you haven't already done so. In the root of the .ZIP file is README.MENU. That addresses items #1+#2+#3. The simple menu config is detailed here and (as I understand it) permits the use of simple 640x480 JPGs or PNGs as a backdrop. BTW, I started my own work on this subsystem last nite. I would also remind you of this, which is the menu I will mod for my tests.

WRT CDIMAGE vs MKISOFS, you mite not need to change. I haven't used CDIMAGE, but as I've heard, it has the essential boot-info-table cmd-line opt, Ie. essential for using ISOLINUX as the CD's boot loader.

That's it for now. I need to go back to the grind, as it's late morning over here in NYC. Check your mail tomorrow AM (your time.) Should have something to rept by then....Jet

KOF: I'm glad you've finally seen the light. I was just about to rat you out to the Thought Police for your sojourn w/ CDSHELL. Now that appears unnec. biggrin.gif
Well, it seams that the author has ceased dev on CDShell for the foreseeable future so as far as I'm concerned isolinux is the next logical step! I'm glad this makes you so happy :rolleyes: .
I started my own work on this subsystem last nite. I would also remind you of this, which is the menu I will mod for my tests.

I'm actually one step ahead on you with menu.c32 (yes, I've learnt to read :P ) but I can't for the life of me get vesamenu.c32 to work with an image.

The reason I asked about mkisofs is partly because of this and because some of the images I've made wont boot using CDImage!

I might just get a working menu.c32 system working so I can get everything else rolling but essentially I'd really like to get a menu system like Ubuntu's. I love the whole feel of it and by the looks of it the actual menu system uses the same labeling as menu.c32. I just need to know what files you need for the whole module to work.

I'm also quite handy when it comes to graphics, I just need to get back in to it.

On another topic:

I asked about using diskemu instead of memdisk for emulating disc images a while ago. My reasoning behind this was (and still is), diskemu reads the contents of the image from the disc instead of loading it in memory which is beneficial for some apps e.g. memory diagnostics.

Is there a similar method to use with isolinux?

Diskemu can also read the contents of iso images but I think this extra functionality was added my the author of CDShell and not the author of diskemu.

I think this thread is about to monopolise this board for a while to come.

Laters.

Edited by kof94

The reason I asked about mkisofs is partly because of this and because some of the images I've made wont boot using CDImage!

I might just get a working menu.c32 system working so I can get everything else rolling but essentially I'd really like to get a menu system like Ubuntu's. I love the whole feel of it and by the looks of it the actual menu system uses the same labeling as menu.c32. I just need to know what files you need for the whole module to work.

Why don't you post the top ten or twenty lines of your ISOLINUX.CFG ? It worked for me straight-away ! I'VE NEARLY REACHED THE END OF MY BOOT MENU JOURNEY ! I took my old .CFG file (as I mentioned yesterday) and added the new stuf. Didn't muck w/ changing colors, just did the minimum w/ a random PNG from my collection. Next, I trying to make one of the samples (CAT.C32) display help text. It boggles the mind, but SYSLINUX's author took that feature out of VESAMENU. Won't be pretty, but as long as it displays ASCII....

On another topic:

I asked about using diskemu instead of memdisk for emulating disc images a while ago. My reasoning behind this was (and still is), diskemu reads the contents of the image from the disc instead of loading it in memory which is beneficial for some apps e.g. memory diagnostics.

Is there a similar method to use with isolinux?

I don't grok this. I suspect MEMDISK and DISKEMU are the same thing. It (ie. MEMDISK) is just a floppy emulator, so that sounds like most of your desc of DISKEMU. I've heard of DISKEMU, bef your mention, just never had occasion to try it. Anyway, MEMDISK is what comes w/ the SYSLINUX pkg. But, there's no reason to think that DISKEMU wouldn't work as a replacement. Give it a whack....Jet

I haven't had time to mess with this today. Since I got home from work it's been one thing after another!

With vesamenu I've probably just put something out of place and not seen it instantly, I'll re-do it again tomorrow and see what happens.

As far as Diskemu goes, your right, I'm not gonna know til I try it. So I will.

What's CAT.C32 all about? (I take it back your way a head of me)

-kof

Edit:

I now have a background image using vesamenu.

Converted my .jpg to a .png and changed the name of it from wallpaper.png (9:3 !!! :blushing: ) to back.png.

I didn't really need to convert the image but it was the first thing I did before realising my misstake.

And the moral of this story is, 'don't try to learn something new when your far too tired to think'.

-kof

Edited by kof94

What's CAT.C32 all about? (I take it back your way a head of me)

I now have a background image using vesamenu.

Converted my .jpg to a .png and changed the name of it from wallpaper.png (9:3 !!! :blushing: ) to back.png.

I didn't really need to convert the image but it was the first thing I did before realising my misstake.

And the moral of this story is, 'don't try to learn something new when your far too tired to think'.

-kof

Congrats ! I bet it'll go pretty quik, once you're powered back up. Lack of sleep will do it to you EVERY TIME. It's bitten me in the a** for the past few days w/ my paying work.

CAT32.C32 is something I discovered while GOOGLEing for info about displaying help text using VESAMENU. It's crude, but it does display a simple text file w/o writing code and I have it tied to a menu pick. You can find it in the samples sub-dir of the SYSLINUX pkg. While browsing (the SYSLINUX daily mail digest), I also found out that SYSLINUX's author has a new beta release. No details til cracking the ZIP, but he wants folks on the list to test it, so he can release it by the weekend.

In addition to everything else, I'm trying to recompile the kernel for Slax. The compile completed successfully, then crapped out when I tried to boot it. Must've missed something else. Time to reboot again. C'ya tomorrow....Jet