.NET FRAMEWORK 3.0 - ORCAS COME ON !

KRYOGENIUS

Hello

What a news ! Microsoft has just released in multilinguages, the new framework

".Net Framework 3.0"

Here the links ! and have fun

English

<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=10cc340b-f857-4a14-83f5-25634c3bf043&DisplayLang=en" target="_blank">http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...playLang=en</a>

French !!

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=fr

etc..

Link for test the new development studio "ORCAS", just for use your bandwith !!

http://msdn.microsoft.com/windowsvista/dow...ts/default.aspx

+++

Edited by KRYOGENIUS

i installed it. then i uninstalled it. it installed sooooooooo much useless stuff(some of which actually crashed).

I hope that all the useless stuff was actually removed from your system :(

Dotnet2 also left a lot of rubbish behind after de-installation.

i installed it. then i uninstalled it. it installed sooooooooo much useless stuff(some of which actually crashed).

I hope that all the useless stuff was actually removed from your system :(

Dotnet2 also left a lot of rubbish behind after de-installation.

the other stuff had separate uninstallers so i just used those. i think that everything is removed but i'm not sure. i also checked Program Files and nothing there.

I Have installed the beta without problem ! The RTM will be stable i hope !

hardly

hardly

I've installed it dozens of times already without a single glitch (on XP and 2003, in virtual machines and physical ones). Your one instance of having problems (especially if using a 3rd party installer) hardly makes it unstable.

It takes up space, yeah. All frameworks, runtimes, and various other dependencies do. But when you look at what it does, it's totally worth it (and I'm not talking about the .NET framework specifically here, same applies to Java & others).

As for crashing, I wonder what you're referring to, and if you could come up with log files or screenshots (supporting evidence) to back that up.

The betas have been tested very much, by a LOT of developers and companies, and I have yet to hear a single major complaint (and this is the very first time I see such claims about the RTM), which funnily works perfect here. And if there were such major issues about it, we'd have heard about it by now, and MS would likely have released a new installer or a patch. And if you look at all the previous frameworks (installer/install process hasn't changed much), there has NEVER been such issues (neither with v1.0, 1.1 or 2.0).

It's anecdotal evidence at best. For all we know, your problem could be caused by something else, or even be something totally unrelated... (I'm tempted to call FUD on that one really)

There's no issues with the RTM, besides perhaps not coming with the .NET FW 2.0 updates.

Your one instance of having problems (especially if using a 3rd party installer) hardly makes it unstable.
i used the official installer. i wonder how anyone would find the time to make a 3rd party installer on the day that it was released...
As for crashing, I wonder what you're referring to, and if you could come up with log files or screenshots (supporting evidence) to back that up.

i have the framework uninstalled, but the framework should install a new icon in control panel(forgot the name). when i clicked it, it told me some service crashed...i then killed the **** thing.

It takes up space, yeah

too much of it.

the framework should install a new icon in control panel(forgot the name). when i clicked it, it told me some service crashed...i then killed the **** thing.

The WCS icon? Works perfectly fine. Have yet to see a single glitch (even with the betas). Google nor Google groups can't find references of similar problems from anyone, no matter how hard I try.

too much of it.

Like a couple hundred MB more than v2.0, which is not bad at all when you consider all the new stuff it brings. WPF graphics using XAML (the main thing for end-users, and it's no small change!), WCF which is a major selling point for programmers along with WWF, and WCS for authentication. At current storage prices (~110$CDN/320GB), that's less than a dime's worth of space. Considering everything it does it's a total non-issue.

quick! let's install .Net 3.0 6 months before any software is released that requires it!

WPF looks very nice, but I want an IDE to design from before I use it...I'm not coding that s*** by hand.

And i'm not too sure i like the idea of big fancy complex UIs being available to the masses of developers. Before we were safe from the bloated UIs because it took a ton of man hours from experienced 3d programmers to create one. With .Net 3.0 it's going to be much much easier...to the extent that we will begin to see even AntiVirus programs and such with 3d interfaces and 3d animations...I can see my system resources dropping already. :(

Edited by #rootworm

Like a couple hundred MB more than v2.0, which is not bad at all when you consider all the new stuff it brings. WPF graphics using XAML (the main thing for end-users, and it's no small change!), WCF which is a major selling point for programmers along with WWF, and WCS for authentication. At current storage prices (~110$CDN/320GB), that's less than a dime's worth of space. Considering everything it does it's a total non-issue.
Ok, let's not get into the anti-.NET debate again... even though I'm anti-.NET myself, I'm just not going to bother explaining how software efficiency has declined, it's a huge waste of resources, insults the real programmer's intelligence, etc.

.NET 3 has been released. Take it or leave it.

I'll leave it. :no:

...to the extent that we will begin to see even AntiVirus programs and such with 3d interfaces and 3d animations...
NOD32 FTW :thumbup Edited by LLXX

considering i will never use the framework and probably nothing which will depend on the network, it's better for me to just not have it installed. anyways, let's stop talking about it. the framework has been talked about enough already.

Ok, let's not get into the anti-.NET debate again... even though I'm anti-.NET myself, I'm just not going to bother explaining how software efficiency has declined, it's a huge waste of resources, insults the real programmer's intelligence, etc.

Yeah, let's not start a debate again, but then troll about how it "insults the "real" programmer's intelligence"? :lol:

Real intelligent skilled programmers use what's best for each case. And .NET is often the answer. Nothing comes even CLOSE to WCF out there, on any platform/OS/using any language. Your app can switch from SOAP web services (and extensions), to remoting, to MSMQ and back, without even having to touch a single line of code. It's perhaps the most secure option too (not just WS policies and such, but also .NET Code Access Security and such). And nothing comes even CLOSE to being so quick to develop. The worklflow framework will be a real time saver too. There are countless other great frameworks, utilities and such too, and very good dev tools overall.

And WPF is a really amazing set of widgets. It blows winforms away (and pretty much everything else and the other old methods, be it Qt, GTK+, Swing, wxWidgets, MFC, etc). Finally an innovative and futuristic widget set (and it's easy & quick to develop for as a bonus). In the next few months/years we'll see lots of great apps made using it (there's already a few).

It hardly insults a programmer's intelligence (no more than Java or any other time-saving framework of any kind). It only saves time and reduces development costs. You're just trolling as always. So much for someone who "didn't want to start a debate again" eh? Not that I ever expected better coming from a .NET-basher (just like the Java-bashers and other "religions" out there), facts matter very little to them.

as much of a fan as i am of .net, anything which makes something easier and quicker to do can't help but insult the intelligence of those involved.

i love it, but it's basically VB for corporations.

the ONLY reason to use .net is to save development time. that's it.

the ONLY reason to use .net is to save development time. that's it.
Much as sometimes I even use Java for a single or limited-use program that just isn't worth spending more time to make better. Of course, if the program turns out to be very useful and I intend to use it for a longer time or distribute it, it soon migrates down to C++, then C, and finally Asm ;).