HOTFIXES: Win2000 SP4, WinXP SP2, WinXP SP3 and Win2003 SP2

@DarkShadows: Yet another replacement then - by KB922668. M$ says it's cumulative.

Nice catch :)

@GrofLuigi

You know, I did search the MS web site yesterday for another "COM+ Hotfix Rollup Package" but I didn't find 14 (nice search engine MS :wacko:). You are correct in that each COM+ Hotfix Rollup Package supersedes all previous ones. They work just like the IE cumulative updates in that regard. However, if you read the knowledgebase article about COM+ Hotfix Rollup Package 14, you will notice that MS is recommending people wait for the next service pack, unless they are affected by the issue discussed. You must also contact MS in order to get the COM+ Hotfix Rollup Package 14 download. So MS is treating COM+ Hotfix Rollup Package 14 a little different than their previous HotFix rollup packages (including 13 that I posted earlier).

MS has a link on the COM+ Hotfix Rollup Package 14 web page to request the download. I'm not sure, but I don't believe it will cost a support incident. However, I do know that once you request such a download link from MS, it usually only works for a short period of time. So this isn't something we could reliably link to here on MSFN.

It doesn't show up on Windows Update, so I'm not adding it to the list.

The 2003 update mentioned is not for SP2.

@The_guy

Even though these type of updates do not appear on the Windows Update list, you should still consider adding them, especially anything labeled a "HotFix Rollup". These usually fix a multitude of issues, and as I pointed out in my earlier post, they usually supersede other critical windows updates. The goal of your list should be a fully patched operating system, in as few updates as possible. That goal is not necessarily met when nothing is listed on Windows Update when you run it.

@GrofLuigi

You know, I did search the MS web site yesterday for another "COM+ Hotfix Rollup Package" but I didn't find 14 (nice search engine MS :wacko:). You are correct in that each COM+ Hotfix Rollup Package supersedes all previous ones. They work just like the IE cumulative updates in that regard. However, if you read the knowledgebase article about COM+ Hotfix Rollup Package 14, you will notice that MS is recommending people wait for the next service pack, unless they are affected by the issue discussed. You must also contact MS in order to get the COM+ Hotfix Rollup Package 14 download. So MS is treating COM+ Hotfix Rollup Package 14 a little different than their previous HotFix rollup packages (including 13 that I posted earlier).

MS has a link on the COM+ Hotfix Rollup Package 14 web page to request the download. I'm not sure, but I don't believe it will cost a support incident. However, I do know that once you request such a download link from MS, it usually only works for a short period of time. So this isn't something we could reliably link to here on MSFN.

Well, I just glanced the two articles and because they seemingly both offered no direct link to download, I treated them the same. Now I see 13 links to some "Atomic transactions" for "Windows Communication Foundation" stuff that hides the link. So it's not just the search engine of M$ that's weird... ;)

Myself, I treat all updates (official vs non-official) the same. If the dll has higher version number, it goes in. Never had a problem so far. Someday, when I have more free time, I might make a list for all updates that I use... But it's not so appealing now, when SP3 is around the corner.

GL

I have quite a few of those other updates as well. Maybe, I will start a thread in the next few days, and list the ones I'm aware of. I hope you will contribute the updates you know of as well. Such a list would be really useful. If one does not know such an updates exist, there is really no impetus to search for them, nor is there any knowledge of what to search for.

Edited by DarkShadows

Please add the following to the first post in the thread...thanks.

UPDATE LOG

January, 05 2008

Added KB942763 for WinXP SP2 and Win2K3 SP2

Removed KB933360 for WinXP SP2 and Win2K3 SP2 (replaced by KB942763)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MS WINDOWS 2003 SERVER SP2 - (Count remains the same)

*** NEW ***

KB942763 -> December 2007 cumulative time zone update for Microsoft Windows operating systems

Download -› 510 KB (December 20, 2007)

Switches: KB942763.exe /q /n /z

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MS WINDOWS XP PRO SP2 - (Count remains the same)

*** NEW ***

KB942763 -> December 2007 cumulative time zone update for Microsoft Windows operating systems

Download (Validation Required) -› 502 KB (December 20, 2007)

Switches: KB942763.exe /q /n /z

Edited by DarkShadows

Please add the following information to the first post in the thread. This update is actually loooooooonnnnnggggggg over due (May, 22, 2006).

UPDATE LOG

January 3, 2008 (May, 22, 2006)

Added KB912817 for WinXP SP2.

Removed KB902400 for WinXP SP2 (replaced by KB912817).

MS WINDOWS XP PRO SP2 - (89)

*** Should've been added May, 22, 2006 ***

KB912817 -> Availability of Windows XP COM+ Hotfix Rollup Package 13 (V2)

Download -› 4.6 MB (May, 22, 2006)

Switches: KB912817.exe /q /n /z

NOTE: The download page also lists an update for Windows Server 2003. I do not use Windows Server 2003, so I'm not sure if it is required for Win2K3 SP2.

Why KB912817 replace KB902400 ? I find nothing on that.

The fact that one update supersedes the other is not actually documented on the Microsoft web site. I found this out on my own.

If you extract both updates and inspect the files they install (i.e. look at their Module Version), you will see that the update I listed installs more recent versions of the same system files. Likewise if you omit the replaced update and only integrate the update I listed, Windows Update will not list the replaced update.

• 3 weeks later...