HOTFIXES: Win2000 SP4, WinXP SP2, WinXP SP3 and Win2003 SP2

Somebody can explain me why Windows Update tells me that I have to install KB931836 if I have already installed KB933360?

KB931836 should be replaced. In fact if I try to install it, I receive an error because I have a newer version of tzchange.exe. Is a Windows Update bug? Thanks!

Remove KB925902 by KB938829 (gdi32.dll) for WinXP SP2

KB938829 is not only gdi32.dll, it has additional two files that are not replaced by any other updates: mf3216.dll and user32.dll . And another one (win32k.sys) that is updated by something else.

GL

KB938829 is the NEW update.

KB925902 is the OLD update, consist ONLY of gdi32.dll and should be removed. Tested safe to remove.

Remove KB925902 by KB938829 (gdi32.dll) for WinXP SP2

KB938829 is not only gdi32.dll, it has additional two files that are not replaced by any other updates: mf3216.dll and user32.dll . And another one (win32k.sys) that is updated by something else.

GL

KB938829 is the NEW update.

KB925902 is the OLD update, consist ONLY of gdi32.dll and should be removed. Tested safe to remove.

KB925902 does not consist only of gdi32.dll:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms07-017.mspx

GL

Edited by Incroyable HULK

Someone has been a badouista ^^

Anyway Nilfred, you can cry your eyes out, the_guy doesn't seems to be agree with you, kb925902 is still in the list, and I don't know why but I tend to trust the boss of this thread a lot more than someone who can't argue at all or explain why he think he's right.

In Win XP:

KB905474 -› Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications application (v1.7.0018.1)

Download -› 1.26 MB (February 27, 2007)

Switches: KB905474.exe /q:a /r:n (cannot use the /integrate; option)

The switches are wrong. The "/?" dialog box pops up listing all valid switches, indicating that this should be "/quiet /norestart" instead of "/q:a /r:n"

- John

In Win XP:

The switches are wrong. The "/?" dialog box pops up listing all valid switches, indicating that this should be "/quiet /norestart" instead of "/q:a /r:n"

- John

Crap... it could also be that I actually had left the "(cannot use the /integrate; option)" on my command line. Crap. :blushing:

In Win XP:

- John

Crap... it could also be that I actually had left the "(cannot use the /integrate; option)" on my command line. Crap. :blushing:

Well... I fixed that, but the error still stands. The switches are wrong and need to be changed to "/quiet /norestart".

In Win XP:

- John

Well... I fixed that, but the error still stands. The switches are wrong and need to be changed to "/quiet /norestart".

I downloaded it and ran /? and it gave me the correct switches. I guess I will have to do more tests. Are you guys extracting the downloaded file or not?

the_guy

I downloaded it and ran /? and it gave me the correct switches. I guess I will have to do more tests. Are you guys extracting the downloaded file or not?

I am using the downloaded file, renamed "KB905474.exe". No other changes.

- John

New WGA released Feb. 28, 2007

***UPDATE***

KB905474 -> Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications application

Download -> 1.3 MB (Version 1.7.0018.1)

Switches: KB905474.exe /q:a /r:n - sorry, had this wrong before, my mistake

It is possible to extract the traditional Type 1 hotfix from the downloaded Type 2 hotfix file using WinRAR (7Zip, WinZip, etc.)... any benefit to keeping it as a Type 2? When I extracted the file, renamed it KB905474.exe, and ran it using switches /q /n /z, it installed fine, and all relevant files files were updated to version 1.7.0018.1.

(For those of you trying to squeeze each byte of space, the extracted file is .04 MB smaller, 1.22 MB versus the downloaded file's 1.26 MB.)

that is what i used [part 2 obvious , with extraction part].

and it was ok .

anyway , 905474 is not anymore listed on Windows Update [for XP32 at least] !!?

why you still need it ?!

Edited by oneless

I think you have to unpack the KB905474 (with WinRAR for example) and you'll get a file named: WGANOT~1.EXE

This file can be used with /quiet /norestart /nobackup just like any "regular" hotfixes...

I am using the downloaded file, renamed "KB905474.exe". No other changes.

- John

I think you have to unpack the KB905474 (with WinRAR for example) and you'll get a file named: WGANOT~1.EXE

This file can be used with /quiet /norestart /nobackup just like any "regular" hotfixes...

No... the downloaded file works great with "/quiet /norestart /nobackup" without any unpacking. The issue is that the oft-updated first post of this thread instructs the user to use "/q:a /r:n" which doesn't work.

- John

hi everyone

i was wondering if i m the only one that got yesterday 2 news hotfixes ^^ !!

Hrm... my Vista computer *did* reboot last night due to patching activity (blowing away an unsaved text file...g rrrrr...)

So... me too!

- John