HOTFIXES: Win2000 SP4, WinXP SP2, WinXP SP3 and Win2003 SP2

I installed all of the listed updates for Windows XP SP2. Yet, when I go into Windows Update to do a check, it list the following required updates:

KB923689

KB890830

KB917734

KB901190

Also, is the flash hotfix required even if I install Adobe Flash 9? Thanks.

Can someone please answer my questions?

Thanks RyanVM !

Is there a new Windows Update client ? Because I install it, but when I go to Windows Update it ask to download again ...

I will retest when I will not tired ^^

edited: In fact, Internet Explorer 7.0 integrate a Windows Update client version so no need to install the windows update client before ...

I removed Windows Update Agent 2.0 from my CD and it still requires it when I do an update, even though IE7 is loaded. I doubt IE7 has a Windows Update Client.

I have made other tests and in fact it's because I install KB918899 which is cumulative update for IE6. This update has a Windows Update client I think because when I install it I can access WU without popup ...

I have deleted this update because it's now superseeded by KB925454 (I keep updates for IE6 for systems I don't update to IE7), and I have re-integrated WindowsUpdateClientv6.

This is really stupid, why is MS asking me to install KB901190 even though it's no longer on this list?

I have KB901190 in my list for me ...

The list on the first page of this thread doesn't list that update as a required critical update. Are you sure you got it right? Maybe the_guy left it out then since Windows Update says that I'm missing that update.

• 2 weeks later...
Microsoft has released a new version of the KB905474 update here.

However is there a way to hide it from Microsoft Update site without installing this?

This looks like a type 2 hotfix, however it, WindowsXP-KB905474-ENU-x86-Standalone.exe, does not install silently from svcpack using:

KB905474.EXE /q:A /R:N

Does anyone know an alternative working switch.

TIA

Microsoft has released a new version of the KB905474 update here.

However is there a way to hide it from Microsoft Update site without installing this?

This looks like a type 2 hotfix, however it, WindowsXP-KB905474-ENU-x86-Standalone.exe, does not install silently from svcpack using:

KB905474.EXE /q:A /R:N

Does anyone know an alternative working switch.

TIA

The only thing I can suggest is to extract the file, and install WGANOT~1.EXE inside the file with the /q /n /z switch.

the_guy

Thanks the_guy, I may try it later.

I am however thinking of trying an install without it and performing an update as a check, since I've heard reports that the notifier is no longer a 'critical hotfix'. Could anyone give a definitive answer to these reports.

Sonic The 'new version' will not accept the integrate switch and its help switch shows the same dialog as KB923789. During install however 923789 installs fine but 905474 shows the full installation dialog boxes etc. The previous version of 905474 didn't exhibit this behaviour, hence my posting here.

oups! In fact I have just remember I have extracted the .exe of download wga file and I run extracted .exe with /q /o /n /z switchw for post-install and all is fine here. Btw, where are international version of WGA notifier, I install english version for French OS but it's latest it's more impostant for me ^^

**Added IE7 and WMP11 to base install**

Removed KB925486, KB924496, KB918899, KB917734 and KB917344 for WinXP SP2 because of IE7/WMP11.

I discover that with IE7, only 3 files from hotfix KB917344 are updated. All the others are updated by the hotfix: so, if KB917344 isn't installed, all the other files aren't updated.

Details:

Updated by IE7: ADVPACK.DLL (7.0.5730.11), jscript.dll (5.7.0.5730), vbscript.dll (5.7.0.5730).

Updated by KB917344 and NOT by IE7: cscript.exe, dispex.dll, jsit.dll, scoit.dll, scrobj.dll, scrrnit.dll, scrrun.dll, vbsit.dll, wscript.exe, wshcon.dll, wshext.dll, ws***.dll, wshom.ocx.

So, in my opinion, if you remove KB917344 because IE7, you will update only those 3 files, while all the others will remain those original from XP SP2. So, I think it is necessary not to remove KB917344.

Somebody agree with me? :)