KB924441: Computer that is using an AMD PowerNow! driver stops res

knacki99

A Microsoft Windows Server 2003-based or Microsoft Windows XP-based computer that is using a dual core or multiprocessor Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) processor that supports ACPI processor performance states (AMD PowerNow!) may stop responding. This problem is most likely to occur when you run a video-intensive program. However, this problem can occur whenever there is a processor performance state change.

This problem occurs because of a deadlock in the kernel power manager. This deadlock occurs because of a race condition that can occur when the processor performance state is changed on an AMD processor.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924441/en-us

Anyone with a retail version of Windows XP can request this fix via email directly from MS. I run OEM so unfortunately I can not be of assistance. Once received could someone share it?

btw, any person in the world can request this fix from Microsoft, whether you're OEM, Retail, or have never owned a Microsoft product in your life.

anyways, here ya go:

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Customer Service.

I understand from your e-mail that you wish to obtain Hotfix mentioned in the article 92441. I realize the importance of your issue.

The hot fix for your issue has been packaged and placed on an HTTP site for you to download.

WARNING: This fix is not publicly available through the Microsoft website as it has not gone through full Microsoft regression testing. If you would like confirmation that this fix is designed to address your specific problem, or if you would like to confirm whether there are any special compatibility or installation issues associated with this fix, you are encouraged to speak to a Support Professional in Product Support Services.

The package is password protected so be sure to enter the appropriate password for each package. To ensure the right password is provided cut and paste the password from this mail.

NOTE: Passwords expire every 7 days so download the package within that period to insure you can extract the files. If you receive two passwords it means you are receiving the fix during a password change cycle. Use the second password if you download after the indicated password change date.

Package:

-----------------------------------------------------------

KB Article Number(s): 924441

Language: English

Platform: i386

Location: http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%20XP...NU_i386_zip.exe

Password: tavl{XX4OG

thought i'd share a bit of info regarding this issue.

i actually experience this same exact issue on an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (even though microsoft says it's only a dual-core or multiprocessor issue), and the article gave me an idea of some things to try. i always blamed this issue on my video card in the past, but it's definitely a kernel issue.

i traced it back to windows setup choosing the wrong HAL for my motherboard.

setup was installing halaacpi.dll when it should have been installing halacpi.dll....the first one works almost perfectly on my comp, except for that strange kernel issue.

after i replaced it the bug is gone... and i know for sure the bug is gone because i can reproduce it 100%.

so if that fix doesn't work for you (didn't work for me) maybe give the HAL change a try, but make sure you have a way to get into your system to change it back if it doesn't work out because changing HAL can make your system unbootable.

you don't know how happy i am to have fixed this bastard of a bug. this is the most frustrating windows bug i've ever encountered. it totally pops up at random, and when it occurs it causes file system errors every time because the kernel immediately deadlocks.

p.s. you can find the HALs in your driver.cab on your windows cd, and whichever HAL you choose, it gets renamed to hal.dll and placed in windows\system32...you can check to see which HAL got installed by checking windows\repair\setup.log and searching for hal.dll

just found this page that describes the different HALs:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309283

Edited by #rootworm

• 3 weeks later...

The passwords are only valid for a few days. Contact Microsoft support to get your own copy, and they should provide this one to you free of charge as it's a product break/fix described in a KB article.