Norton Rant

• 1 month later...

My NAV 2005 is up, running and not a resource hog I only have 256MB memory on Win XP, and a 1 GHZ Intel processor. Must be something getting mixed up for a lot of the moaners. It's not as bad as the mob make it out to be.

Edited by wonderin

thats because you are only running the AV and its the 2005 ed, that was the start of getting bloated. If you were running NIS2005 it would be a very slow computer.

I've downloaded Norton Anti-Virus 2003 - 2007 with the intention of comparing each one to the previous. I'll have the results posted on my blog in a few days.

@ joshg678, true I'm only running the NAV. I thought I was posting in a NAV thread, whoops! It's hard for me not to take the bait in Norton bashing threads.

I'm going to try the latest Norton Removal Tool and see if it has improved with this version. Of course I have Ghost image to go back to.

Edited by wonderin

And you've used Vista how much? From what I saw in the office, very very little. You were also using a beta, last I saw. Vista has greatly improved in their reliability and stability.

Norton/Symantec offered to help with Vista's security; which is funny. They can't even do a proper anti virus, what makes them think they can help an OS?

Just used the latest version of Norton removal tool and saw it did a "very good job" of removing everything, which is a first for me. However I noticed imediately that ZoneAlarm had become altered, settings had completely changed. Lord knows what else has happened.

Think I'll join a section of the Norton Basher squad.

And you've used Vista how much? From what I saw in the office, very very little. You were also using a beta, last I saw. Vista has greatly improved in their reliability and stability.

Norton/Symantec offered to help with Vista's security; which is funny. They can't even do a proper anti virus, what makes them think they can help an OS?

Actually i have used vista quite a lot, i am using it in class right now, because we have to know the differences in certain networking objectives, like setting it up for a domain and stuff.

Have you seen the list of incompatibilities for vista, its gotten huge!

Just used the latest version of Norton removal tool and saw it did a "very good job" of removing everything, which is a first for me. However I noticed imediately that ZoneAlarm had become altered, settings had completely changed. Lord knows what else has happened.

Think I'll join a section of the Norton Basher squad.

Haha, yea i love the norton removal tool, it does do a good job. I don't know why it does not run its self when you "uninstall" norton.

Actually i have used vista quite a lot, i am using it in class right now, because we have to know the differences in certain networking objectives, like setting it up for a domain and stuff.

Have you seen the list of incompatibilities for vista, its gotten huge!

Probably not much different from when XP/SP2 came out. Definitely worth loving Vista should Norton be listed. :)

Probably not much different from when XP/SP2 came out. Definitely worth loving Vista should Norton be listed. :)

True that, but from what i can see, Vista looks nice, but i don't see anything that would really help the user, just more annoyances. Eh, maybe more work for my work.

Edited by joshg678

• 2 months later...
I have a router, but I'm DMZed, so it's like not having one. Windows firewall is off. I do not run a firewall, I do not run an anti-virus, I do not run an anti-spyware. I run absolutely none of that junk and never have.

In 8 years, I've had 3 viruses. All 3 which I was able to remove, and all 3 because I was downloading "certain" software.

There is no need for anti-virus software, there is a need for user common sense.

I wouldn't trust that if I were you. It's easy to get zero-day vulnerability attacks!

Windows leaves ports that aren't required for internet access wide open!