Norton Rant

... the freedom package was no longer working (go figure), so we had to uninstall it. Of course windows xp starts to complain that there is no antivirus software installed ...

Next time, go to Control Panel -> Security Center, look in the left pane and click on "Change the way Security Center alerts me", remove all three checkmarks and the customer will never be bothered with that again.

Yes i know of that, however, this system is a client's system, and they are usually unintelligent, that if they don't have a box that yells at them when they don't have an antivirus protection, they won't get one. lol.

So we leave all messages like this on.

Edited by joshg678

Norton = the PC Devil

back in the DOS days we had to use their stuff because they were the only ones doing it, but now we have a choice: we can choose performance/reliability...or we can choose to believe marketing!

All Norton has left is it's legacy. McAfee is the same. Two companies that failed to evolve.

Their Ghost is rather nice though...

Well, they just rebranded Ghost from Powerquest. Powerquest is actually the one that invented that great tool as well as PartitionMagic. They just bought them out. Seems to be the trend now adays within companies.

glad to see other people dislike it as much as me!:P

i'm sure norten used to make usful products before windwos 95...

bring back the days of using powequest;s memory manager qemm? to get us out 640kb! pretty sure i didn't dream that one up!

i think i shall have to carry a usb drive with norten removal tool incase i ever use a computer willingly with norten on again :)

Norton = the PC Devil

back in the DOS days we had to use their stuff because they were the only ones doing it, but now we have a choice: we can choose performance/reliability...or we can choose to believe marketing!

All Norton has left is it's legacy. McAfee is the same. Two companies that failed to evolve.

In those days Norton was really Norton. Today it's Symantec....

haha, yea thats for sure, there is a difference.

I really wish they would make something decent for once..... the last time i had norton on my computer was in 2002, becuase after i tried to put 2003 on and it messed up my system, i never used it agian, hehe.

Their Ghost is rather nice though...

Well, they just rebranded Ghost from Powerquest. Powerquest is actually the one that invented that great tool as well as PartitionMagic. They just bought them out. Seems to be the trend now adays within companies.

Yes, anything decent they've had to offer in the last few years (like ghost) have been bought out - just like Veritas recently (it's really a long list).

But I'm sure they'll manage to drive Veritas apps into the ground too, overbloat 'em and make 'em suck badly - just like they've done for the latest versions of ghost (or almost anything else they make). v8.2 was the last version worth using, the new versions are trying to be acronis trueimage or something, and they just suck. But it's getting to be irrelevant now, Vista comes with new imaging and deployment tools that will replace it, and v8.2 will always work just fine for older versions of windows.

i dont think it will die too many people think its actually good

like i did work experience at a local shop which only sell norton antivirus

the manger said it was the best antivirus and the other person said norton antivirus will bog down your system a bit buts it protects you or works or something like that

i didnt say anything though, i had to install it yuck!!!