administrator account has no admin rights

pauluk83

hi i have just formated and started to install software like skype msn office ect when i rebooted i tryed to change the ie hopepage and it said

“This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.”

but i am logged in as administrator and can instal software

please help

Pauk

Sounds like a policy setting is keeping you from changing the home page... If you're familiar with group policies, run gpedit.msc and see if any restrictive policies have been set. Did you install Windows and the other software using your own media? What version of IE are you running? If it's IE 7, did you install it yourself or was it installed via Automatic Updates?

due to restrictions in effect on this computer

This message is normally presented when there is a policy setting in effect. I would double check the policies under gpedit.msc (esp Computer config\Windows settings\Security settings).

I've had that happen twice, same exact symptoms. It was a trojan in a restore file stored on slave drive, since I always move My Documents to a slave in case I have a problem. Trend Micro's house call and AVG didn't find it, but upon a reformat, as I could not move, copy or paste anything, I installed Norton Antivirus, and it found it immediately. Shutting down restore will wipe those folders out, as you cannot get in them. Then just turn restore back on.

due to restrictions in effect on this computer

This message is normally presented when there is a policy setting in effect. I would double check the policies under gpedit.msc (esp Computer config\Windows settings\Security settings).

I agree. That error message (or similar) had existed since Windows 95. It's because of a policy setting in the registry.

I used to see that error message (or similar) with Windows 95 and Windows 98 when the policy has been changed with System Policy Editor. (or similar) (poledit.exe)

Edited by RJARRRPCGP