minor bug integrating IE7?

Joe User 99

I've come across what appears to be a very minor bug while integrating IE7.

I can't say it is caused by nlite, however, the problem does not occur if I install IE7 into

an existing XP install, only when integrating.

And again, it's minor. It would only affect User accounts, not Admin users.

I have integrated the Final IE7, downloaded directly from MS, no other changes, into a

plain XP SP2, with no other integrations, changes, or anything.

What is happening, is the rights to the registry key,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer

are being changed.

On my pre-IE7 image, that key has the following permissions:

Administrators - Full Control

SYSTEM - Full Control

Everyone - Read (Query Value, Enumerate Subkeys, Notify, Read Control)

on my post IE7 integration, that key has the following permissions:

Administrators - Read (Query Value, Enumerate Subkeys, Notify, Read Control)

SYSTEM - Read (Query Value, Enumerate Subkeys, Notify, Read Control)

Since there are no other rights, this triggers a couple of MSI errors (2503 followed by 2502, on EVERY MSI).

Again, since most normal user accounts do not have the rights to install software via MSI's anyway,

and most home users are Admin users, it's not a big issue. I only came across it because we deploy software to restricted users.

Can anyone verify this?

are being changed.

This is *not* just related to IE7. I slipstreamed only windows updates using nlite and found the same problem while running office for a new user because it needs to run the msi installer the first time any office application launches (see my posting). It should be a bug in the nlite slipstreaming process which does not change the registry key permissions on that key.

I just checked another system that was installed by hand and the default permissions on that registry key should be:

System - Full Control

Everyone - Read

When changing this permissions on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer make sure you set them to propagate down by selecting the check box that reads: "Replace permission entries on all child objects ..."

The permissions after using nlite patched files to install a new machine in unattended mode are:

Administrators - Special (mostly read permissions)

System - Full Control

There are no permissions for "Everyone" as you mention.

After changing the permissions (remember to propagate them to the child) and rebooting, I was able to log in to the machine with a new user account that had no administrator rights and launch Word for the first time without getting errors as before. The issue is not just IE7 related, must be an nlite 1.2.1 bug.

Thanks for finding the problem, you made my day.

Edited by dijuremo

• 1 month later...

are being changed.

This is *not* just related to IE7. I slipstreamed only windows updates using nlite and found the same problem while running office for a new user because it needs to run the msi installer the first time any office application launches (see my posting). It should be a bug in the nlite slipstreaming process which does not change the registry key permissions on that key.

I just checked another system that was installed by hand and the default permissions on that registry key should be:

System - Full Control

Everyone - Read

When changing this permissions on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer make sure you set them to propagate down by selecting the check box that reads: "Replace permission entries on all child objects ..."

I can't find the values for those permissions at that registry key location. May you be more precise about where they 're located please?

thanks

Hi, :hello:

Dont know if this is a bug or something, here it goes:

"Show Desktop" icon on the quick launch is missing after intregrating IE7 with nLite.

Does anybody else have that problem too? Or is it just me?

Oh and a last question:

My IE7 ui looks like IE6; is that normal?? :blink:

Hi, :hello:

Dont know if this is a bug or something, here it goes:

"Show Desktop" icon on the quick launch is missing after intregrating IE7 with nLite.

Does anybody else have that problem too? Or is it just me?

Oh and a last question:

My IE7 ui looks like IE6; is that normal?? :blink:

No it isn't. If you integrated IE7 with RyanVM's 2.1.5a pack, you need to hit NO for browseui.dl_, shdocvw.dl_, and shlwapi.dl_.

Please make your own thread for this, as hijacking someone else's thread can get you in trouble.

Show Desktop is a known issue when integrating IE7.

No it isn't. If you integrated IE7 with RyanVM's 2.1.5a pack, you need to hit NO for browseui.dl_, shdocvw.dl_, and shlwapi.dl_.

Please make your own thread for this, as hijacking someone else's thread can get you in trouble.

Ok thanks for your fast reply!!

:whistle: but still, I dont know what u mean by hit No for browseui.dl_, shdocvw.dl_, and shlwapi.dl_.

Hehehe... Do you mean remove files? or keep? Please explain...

I ve found the solution for the desktop icon

run:

regsvr32 /s /n /i:U shell32

(then reboot)

Oops:P for hijacking someone else's thread :ph34r:

Edited by 2forza

Ok thanks for your fast reply!!

:whistle: but still, I dont know what u mean by hit No for browseui.dl_, shdocvw.dl_, and shlwapi.dl_.

Hehehe... Do you mean remove files? or keep? Please explain...

I ve found the solution for the desktop icon

run:

regsvr32 /s /n /i:U shell32

(then reboot)

Oops:P for hijacking someone else's thread :ph34r:

Then you integrate Ryan's pack and IE7 at the same time (like u are supposed to), you get a prompt keep the newer file (because IE7 uses an older version of a file). If you say yes to keep that file for those 2 files, you get IE7 with an IE6 UI which is pointless. Make sure you said no to those. This prompt appears during the actual integration process.