Too many registry entry

Dee dee's lab

Hi there. I think I was infected with a virus...I tried to reinstall my windows xp SP2 (repair). During installation it promted that ......inf ( if forgot which filename was that) cannot be located on the disc so I tried to browse it manualy and it was on the cd but everytime I click the retry button, it doesn't work...anyways it prompted gor 2 or 3 files more but to make the story short I finished my reinstallation. After that, it installs the windows xp...when i try to open files it works ok...but when I try to access windows/system files it becomes very slow such as display settings, add remove programs and the like.. i tried cleaning my registry and it comes to 12 million and still didn't stop scanning...i think i have a lot of registry entry...what should I do...

Repairing an XP install over an infected machine will never work ~96% of the time as the virus laden files remain on the disk and the run references to them remain in the registry. The errors you get during installation could be because your pc has heaps of windows updates not on the XPSP2 CD which windows is trying to get off the CD. So I'd backup all your important data/savegames try a few free viruscanners and spybot S&D/spysweeper trial (update all before scanning) a couple of times, then again once in safemode, read up on the hijackthis program and post the final result in their forums, then get your xp sp2 cd and learn how to integrate all the XP hotfixes since SP2 to now using Ryanvm's update pack and integrator (yay) or nlite and then lastly try repairing XP with the fully updated xp CD. If that doesn't work, sounds like an fdisk and reinstall might be necessary.

Edited by Tasslehoff

I think I was infected with a virus.

Stop, do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

Re-installing or repairing an infected OS will not remove the infection. Even if it wasn't a virus, I have to side with Tasslehoff, the repair "feature" is pretty lame. I'd recommend you save your data and wipe it clean. Then start over with a fresh build from good media. Opinions may differ, but I'd rather take the time to start over fresh and have it over and done with than continually fix a variety of problems.