Is there any browser based on I.E 6.0 SP1?

myelin

Well so far Sea monkey passes those hurdles that IE4 will not and using my IE4 is safe seeing how I do not visit such webpage or take my chance with IRC chats. I personally do not recommend IE6 unless you really need something specific.

My motto is there is allways another way.

Then again with using credit cards I suggest just using the credit card on trusted pages. I never buy anything from Gamestop or MAcy online which is dumb unless I really and posotivitily need to. I use my credit card for moving money and buying from my favorite Web comic artists.

Again you might want to clear out all old data after using credit cards. Then again if you are not running hot on the wages you should not worry. People go after you on a persoanl scale when they know you like your best freind or Co worker.

Very nice post Arrow, and I agree 100%

And, thanks for the World Browser BTW.

If you want to be secure and stable, don't put anything personal on a pc :D

Don't use credit or store cards and don't use mobiles, you are leaving a trail that would floor you in its extent if presented with it.

Don't get books you like from the library, take out decoy reading matter instead :D

I simply prefer to use internet explorer shell browsers most of the time.

I Ilke the feel, I like the way webpages look I'm happy with them.

I'm also security conscious so I take it upon myself to implement added precautions.

hence my not mentioning their names!

I might get hit but there's nothing on my pcs to get hit over.

Just web stuff which anyone can get on the web.

No personal details, no finances, no addressbooks nada!

I regularly backup stuff so at worst I'd lose something i could download again

Next you'll have to be surfing with firefox whilst using privoxy and tor or variations on that theme, to hide your urls from your isp and websites and cover tracks back to your pc from malicious sites, but that in turn could draw attention to you - why is that person doing that? - its never ending!

Browser is one link in the chain - the main link is human so no browser is safe!

ps Volvo's are designed for safety but we rarley see their owners winding down their windows and screaming out at drivers of other makes

"you idiots, you are an insult to the highway driving those unsafe pieces of junk"

Hi Atmosphere - just attempting to broaden the often one tracked browser debate :D

BenoitRen

Your pc can silently get taken over and added to a botnet that sends SPAM to everyone.

Hi again

On 56k I very much doubt it it :D

Broadband makes you an ideal target for that type of exploit, but no one is suggesting not to use BB or seriously thinking that a non internet explorer browser alone will save you from it.

Someone could equally likely physically break in and walk off with your pc

but that eventuality rarely gets a mention in security discussions

If you go out to work or on holiday and the HD isn't protected/encrypted and backed up better pop the drive out and hide it.

[no use encrypting it in this scenario if not backed up - your encrypted HD is of no use to you in someone elses hands]

or only store sensitive stuff on well concealed cd/dvd disks etc preferably encrypted and read only rather than on the internal HD

Edited by Arrow

Arrow: I love I.E, but it freezes my system from time to time, this happens to every I.E based browser on Windows98SE execpt Gecko based browsers. Firefox works fine. Why I.E based browsers freeze system or reduce the resourses to lower then 10 % if it is used for long periods of time? ..... And you wrote it yourself that you use K-meleon. On Windows 2000 or XP even I.E 5.5 would work fine. Am i right?

How ?
Trojan horses, viruses, other malware. They just need a good exploit and they're in.
using my IE4 is safe seeing how I do not visit such webpage or take my chance with IRC chats

IE4 is not safe, even when you visit trusted sites. For example, one year ago, Mega Man Network, a site I would trust, suddenly started spreading trojan horses and other malware. IE users would get infected or warned through their anti-virus products, users of Gecko-based browsers would wonder what the fuss was all about, as they didn't see a thing. It turned out that the website's host got hijacked somehow, which affected all sites hosted by it. They couldn't do anything about it.

Second, IE doesn't do IRC.

What about Firefox 2?Its a lot safer becasue this is the only remaining browsers that DOESN'T rely on the IE engine.Instead it uses the much safer Gecko.
...What? SeaMonkey, Camino, K-Meleon, Epiphany, etc. also use the Gecko engine.

And no, Gecko is not the only other rendering engine aside from IE. Konqueror and Safari both use KHTML, Opera used Presto up to version 8, and now uses Merlin.

On 56k I very much doubt it it

Viruses already existed on the Internet in the days of 56 kbps, and yes, they did spread. They aren't big at all.

Someone could equally likely physically break in and walk off with your pc

but that eventuality rarely gets a mention in security discussions

That's because it doesn't have anything to do with computer security. It's theft.

"Oh no, my TV is not secure because someone can break in and walk off with it!"

If you go out to work or on holiday and the HD isn't protected/encrypted and backed up better pop the drive out and hide it.

[no use encrypting it in this scenario if not backed up - your encrypted HD is of no use to you in someone elses hands]

or only store sensitive stuff on well concealed cd/dvd disks etc preferably encrypted and read only rather than on the internal HD

You're confusing security with privacy.