Is there any browser based on I.E 6.0 SP1?

myelin

Question no.1 : Is there any browser based on I.E 6.0 SP1?

Question no.2 : Do you think that browsers based on 6.0 SP1 will be more secure and stable?

Question no.3 : Which browser do you use most commonly use?

Edited by myelin

Question no.1 : Is there any browser based on I.E 6.1 SP1?
I think you mean different shells for the rendering engine. Yes, there are. Maxthon, Avant, etc.
Question no.2 : Do you think that browsers based on 6.1 SP1 will be more secure and stable?

Not a chance. All the vulnerabilities are in the rendering engine. Shells won't change that.

SeaMonkey.

Question no.2 : Do you think that browsers based on 6.1 SP1 will be more secure and stable?

Not a chance. All the vulnerabilities are in the rendering engine. Shells won't change that.

Not true...

While Maxthon was still in it's infancy, there were at least 2 Microsoft IE exploits that Maxthon's programmer (BloodChen) patched from within Maxthon itself...

He released a emergency patched version of Maxthon 3 months before MS released patches for the exploits...

Your statement is false...

You probably mean Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1, there is no 6.1 version.

Petr

You probably mean Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1, there is no 6.1 version.

Petr

Yes, it is 6.0.

What i am asking is a browser whose minimum requirements are 6.0 and not less then that. Any help on this?

I think you mean different shells for the rendering engine. Yes, there are. Maxthon, Avant, etc.

SeaMonkey.

I am using Seamonkey as I type this. I downloaded the new version Seamonkey 1.0.6 and installed it this morning. I like it. I use KerioPersonalFirewall 2.1.5 and AVG 7 on my computer. I also you IProtect You v 3.06 for filtering. One of the things it does is filter ads. Is browsing with Seamonkey safe for my Win98SE machine with those safeguards in place?

Thanks!

ivman

What i am asking is a browser whose minimum requirements are 6.0 and not less then that. Any help on this?

TheWorldbrowser

I know because my 98se comes on a vendor's oem restore disk which has internet explorer 5.5 or something already on it

Last time I reinstalled the o/s I quickly loaded up theworld before upgrading to int ex 6.0 first, the world popped up a dialogue saying int ex 6.0 required.

It would still function, but minimally so without all its security features.

Theworldbrowser has many similarities to maxthon and can also utilise quite a few of its plugins.

Both are more secure than plain internet explorer and far better featured

http://www.ioage.com/cn/download.htm

translated

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?u=http:/...cn/download.htm

You can download the installer or non install version and simply run it from its folder

Version 2.0 of the world is more advanced with multithreading but like maxthon 2.0 is still in beta stage with limited features compared to the 1.0 series

http://www.ioage.com/en/index.htm

downloads for different os inc win98

http://www.ioage.com/en/download.htm

Edited by Arrow

TheWorldbrowser

I know because my 98se comes on a vendor's oem restore disk which has internet explorer 5.5 or something already on it

Last time I reinstalled the o/s I quickly loaded up theworld before upgrading to int ex 6.0 first, the world popped up a dialogue saying int ex 6.0 required.

It would still function, but minimally so without all its security features.

Theworldbrowser has many similarities to maxthon and can also utilise quite a few of its plugins.

Both are more secure than plain internet explorer and far better featured

http://www.ioage.com/cn/download.htm

translated

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?u=http:/...cn/download.htm

You can download the installer or non install version and simply run it from its folder

Version 2.0 of the world is more advanced with multithreading but like maxthon 2.0 is still in beta stage with limited features compared to the 1.0 series

http://www.ioage.com/en/index.htm

downloads for different os inc win98

http://www.ioage.com/en/download.htm

Never heard of it before and its looking very interesting. Thanks for the links. :)

I've been using various versions of theworld for at least a year now.

Prior to that on the i ex shell I used Maxthon and before that Myie2 .

The beta versions of the 2.0 series are gradually implementing the features already in the 1.0 series, Previous beta versions hardly had any user confiurations and were very buggy on win98se

TheWorld 1.0 series has a lot of useful features that aren't immediately apparent.

ie I have about 30 different webpage urls set up to open from various keyboard shortcuts so I'm hoping they get into version 2.0

You can even string a number of urls together and launch them from one key.

Browse with safe and silent mode enabled it is an excellent filter and blocker

over and above the various adfilter/blocking features.

Theworld has its own plugins section but its not easy navigating the chinese forum for them.

Some maxthon plugins can be used in theworld - its trial and error.

http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?showtopic=31637

or you could try maxthon itself, I can verify the comments made above by whatever420 about it.

Edited by Arrow

What's the point of patching up the piece of crap that is IE? It's inherently secure, and the shell working around exploits does NOT patch them in the rendering engine. The zone model is inherently flawed.

And even if these shells are more secure than stock IE, its web standards support remains severely lacking, which is an insult to the web.

I'm sure you can make the same point politely.

The threadstarter asked for information about internet explorer 6.0 shell browers which he is getting.

I also regularly use k-meleon which suffers less exploits than firefox

There are ways to set up pc security to eliminate most things apart from the most severe exploits whilst using internet explorer.

People are more likely to trash there own system just playing around

with settings whilst disconnected from the web than get hit by those.

Reinstalls of os caused by me messing about or by lousily written software in over 5 yrs = 6

Hits from the web causing a reinstall or major loss of data = 1

In the early months whilst I was still learning the ropes

Edited by Arrow

Thanks for refering me to a browser which is based on I.E 6.0 :) . But it has the same problems as I.E 6.0. It seems there are infinite exploits in I.E less then 7.0 version that just cannot be covered by any browser. The browser failed my stability test same as Maxthon and others did. And its not a new thing for anyone. One thing though; I.E based browsers are faster then any Gecko based browsers. K-meleon is a nice browser. :)

If you want to be secure and stable, don't put anything personal on a pc :D

Don't use credit or store cards and don't use mobiles, you are leaving a trail that would floor you in its extent if presented with it.

Don't get books you like from the library, take out decoy reading matter instead :D

I simply prefer to use internet explorer shell browsers most of the time.

I Ilke the feel, I like the way webpages look I'm happy with them.

I'm also security conscious so I take it upon myself to implement added precautions.

hence my not mentioning their names!

I might get hit but there's nothing on my pcs to get hit over.

Just web stuff which anyone can get on the web.

No personal details, no finances, no addressbooks nada!

I regularly backup stuff so at worst I'd lose something i could download again

Next you'll have to be surfing with firefox whilst using privoxy and tor or variations on that theme, to hide your urls from your isp and websites and cover tracks back to your pc from malicious sites, but that in turn could draw attention to you - why is that person doing that? - its never ending!

Browser is one link in the chain - the main link is human so no browser is safe!

ps Volvo's are designed for safety but we rarley see their owners winding down their windows and screaming out at drivers of other makes

"you idiots, you are an insult to the highway driving those unsafe pieces of junk"

Edited by Arrow

I'm sure you can make the same point politely.
One bad word makes me impolite? One that was right, even? Please.
I also regularly use k-meleon which suffers less exploits than firefox

Wrong. They both use Gecko, and have roughly the same number of exploits (I say roughly because there's the rare case that it's the Firefox interface at fault).

One thing though; I.E based browsers are faster then any Gecko based browsers. K-meleon is a nice browser.
K-Meleon is also Gecko-based, and it flies just as fast, if not faster, than IE.
Hey listen if you wanna be secure and stable, don't put anything personal on a pc

Since when was the presence of certain data a factor? Your PC is not suddenly secure when you don't have personal data on it.

Sure i might get hit but there's nothing on my pcs to get hit over.
Please. There doesn't even have to be anything. Your PC can silently get taken over and added to a botnet that sends SPAM to everyone.
Next you'll have to be surfing with firefox using privoxy and tor or variations on that theme, to hide your urls form your isp and websites and cover tracks back to your pc from malicious sites, but that in turn could draw attention to you - why is that person doing that? - its never ending!

Taking those precautions is mostly for the paranoid.