What is the best PC/laptop on the market?

bens4manutd

There are so many PCs and laptops on the market currently of different makes but which one is the best and most powerful?

it depends on what you require your computer to do, on which is the best one

Buy a Dell. Not because they have the best laptops, but because they have the best warranty. Laptops are the most expensive thing to fix in computers, parts are expensive, tools are specialized and everything is specific to a make and model. Just build the best laptop you can afford from what Dell offers and you'll be more then happy with it.

Who do you think I am, some kind of genius? And plus the fact that you have to buy all your equipments and components and all that time and efforts needed to go into all this. I ll try to build one when I get a bit older and knows more about technology and how the PC is built

You say "most powerful" with biggest harddrives and ram.

An IBM Thinkpad, as much as I love both of mine, will not do that. IBM (now Lenovo) does not place their laptops on the bleeding edge -- you aren't going to find the biggest fastest hard drives, fastest video cards and highest-end processors in an IBM laptop. It's a shame too, because they're arguably the best on the market -- maybe that's why?

If you want the biggest and fastest of everything and money is no object, then I too would suggest Dell. Alienware was just purchased by Dell, so all the uber-high-end Desktop rigs with the best dual core processors and quad-SLI setups will be available through them.

Want a laptop instead? There are some options, but if you just want bragging rights about having the biggest and best, go get the new Dell "luggable" $4000 model that has the integrated 20" LCD panel, eight-speaker audio with subwoofer, detachable bluetooth keyboard and mouse and the works. It's insane.

However, the real answer for building the best-of-the-best desktop is right above you: Build your own. You can buy all kinds of things over the counter, but it will still pale in comparison to what someone could do with their own parts. Just like you can buy a 400HP crate motor over the counter, but it will pale in comparison to what's possible when someone purchases the parts specific to what they need and hand-builds a 1100HP monster.

I've only bought two fully-assembled computers in my life -- both were laptops. In a desktop environment, there's no reason not to build your own. And if you think you can't? The first computer I fully assembled myself was a 286-16 with math-co-processor back when I was 13. Age has nothing to do with it -- intent and patience does. It took a while, but it came out just fine.

Edited by Albuquerque

Buy a Dell. Not because they have the best laptops, but because they have the best warranty.

Maybe so, but Dell's suck. Overheating, the laptops have that hidden hardware keylogger in the keyboard connector, they configure the OSes to be able to remotely control the customer's PC at any time for 'customer service'. Dells are for people born yesterday, plain and simple. If you have ever looked inside your PC, you are above Dell. :P

Custom Build all the way.

@bens4manutd

Putting a computer together is not very hard. Let me make you feel a bit better by describing to you my first experience building my own...

Back when I had a Dell (years ago) I decided to take some things apart. I had the heatsink in one hand, and the CPU in another. I put the CPU on the bottom of the heatsink and literally tried to 'fit' it onto the mobo as it was. I didn't know I had to put the CPU in and then the heatsink. I ended up breaking some pins on my CPU and had to order another.

The point is: You live and learn. Part of life. You may not get it right the first time, but you can learn from your mistakes, even if it costs your some extra money in the process.

You can always Google for guides and ask for directions on forums, rather than sitting there and feeling sorry for yourself or lack of confidence, convincing yourself immediately that it is more than you are capable... before you even try.

Hope that helps you in some way.

Buy a Dell. Not because they have the best laptops, but because they have the best warranty.

Maybe so, but Dell's suck. Overheating, the laptops have that hidden hardware keylogger in the keyboard connector, they configure the OSes to be able to remotely control the customer's PC at any time for 'customer service'. Dells are for people born yesterday, plain and simple. If you have ever looked inside your PC, you are above Dell. :P

Custom Build all the way.

I beg to differ. I'm the owner of a Dell laptop, and have never had any issues with it. It has been every bit as reliable as my IBM Thinkpad R50, although with the inferior casing that they use I'm also a bit more gentle with where I stash it.

Also, if you're foolish enough to believe the Dell hardware keylogger and/or somehow not even investigate the rumor on your own, then there's quite a bit that could be said about your "birthdate" as well. Let me give you a hint: four letters, starting with "H" and ending in "X". Can you guess? I'll give you a better hint, type "Dell keylogger hardware" in to Google and let me know what the first eleventy brazillion hits are...

Second, if you somehow believe that the OS is configured to be remotely controllable at any moment by someone, then "born yesterday" is a severe understatement for your obvious technical understanding of the situation. Is the service even running? (hint: no) Is the Windows firewall allowing that traffic through? (hint: no) Would they have any clue about which machine went to which person, and when that machine is online, and what the name of that machine is for name resolution or what that machines IP address is now that it's out in the wild? (hint: no, no, no, and no)

There's nothing wrong with Dell, and that's coming from someone whose second language was assembly at nine years of age. Sure, there are "better" machines you can buy for various reasons and levels, but the generalization you're applying is grotesquely innacurate.

Who do you think I am, some kind of genius? And plus the fact that you have to buy all your equipments and components and all that time and efforts needed to go into all this. I ll try to build one when I get a bit older and knows more about technology and how the PC is built

dude, dont get yourself down here. building your own comp is the best choice in the world! just spend some time researching/reading the basics, ask if you need help, search if you need help. in the end you can save alot of money and you can get a computer that is much better than the oem's. it really isnt that hard to do, basically its just plugging things into slots.

dude, dont get yourself down here. building your own comp is the best choice in the world! just spend some time researching/reading the basics, ask if you need help, search if you need help. in the end you can save alot of money and you can get a computer that is much better than the oem's. it really isnt that hard to do, basically its just plugging things into slots.

There isn't a better place then here to get advice on how to build a reliable computer. Several members have been helped here in building their box for their first time. Step by step, we've helped them, from choosing their parts, to putting it together, we've been there. That's the kind of community we are.

There's nothing hard about it. Everything just fits together, and there's plenty of documentation everywhere for when common sense doesn't help. Also, you get to decide exactly what you want in your machine, and what you don't. It's also cheaper than buying a brand-name system, since with those you're mostly just paying for the name (and the components inside are usually no-name or low-end crap)

You can build your own laptop, and there are parts available such as cases, mobos, screens, keyboards and such, but it's a bit more difficult and the parts are not that easy to find.

IBM (now Lenovo) does not place their laptops on the bleeding edge -- you aren't going to find the biggest fastest hard drives, fastest video cards and highest-end processors in an IBM laptop. It's a shame too, because they're arguably the best on the market -- maybe that's why?
Performance is not Lenovo/IBM's main goal in designing their machines. They're more oriented towards durability and 'business' use. However it's worth noting you *can* easily change the hard drive in most of the Thinkpads if you need moar storage.
It has been every bit as reliable as my IBM Thinkpad R50, although with the inferior casing that they use I'm also a bit more gentle with where I stash it.
I find the cases of almost all other consumer laptops are inferior... thin plastic that gives easily when pressure is applied maybe even to the point of cracking. I remember picking up a Compaq or some similar laptop by the corner of the case, and I actually cracked the deck plastic (happened in a store, wasn't mine... :whistle:). IBM/Lenovo uses thicker plastic for the deck, and the Thinkpads all have a metal lid and lower body.