Windows 2000 Tweak

os2fan2

Here is something i found interesting in Windows 2000.

The JPG wallpaper files live in WEBVW.DLL. You can see these in resource-hacker, for example, under resource type 23.

Even more interesting, is that you can add your own to this collection. I used the files from Windows ME, since 2k and ME share most of the files anyway.

Collect all of the files you wish to add.

Add these files to resource 23, [short-file-name], language = 1033. For example, you might add diagonal sands.jpg as "diagonal.jpg".

Now, go to the string table, and to resource 189 or 219, and add entries like

3013, "diagonal.jpg;Diagonal Sands.jpg"

Resource 189 adds these to the \web\wallpaper folder, and resource 219 adds it to allusers\my documents\my pictures folder.

Win2k installs it perfectly, as long as both steps are done.

W

The example in the first post shows how to add diagonal sands.jpg to webvw.dll

You need to import the JPG into webvw.dll, under a short file name. In reshacker.exe, do this:

Add a new resource, of type 23, name "DIAGONAL.JPG" language 1033.

Edit the string table 189, and add a new entry there of the type

3013, "diagonal.jpg;Diagonal Sands.jpg"

Compile the script, and save the DLL.

Your jpg stored under the short-name diagonal.jpg is copied to the web wallpaper folder under the name Diagonal Sands.

That's it.

At the moment, i am doing lots of work with hivefix.inf for Win2k/xp/2k3 The files currently are composite for Win2k + WinXP, but 2k3 is still in the queue. Also in the works is still K8668, which is the rebuild of Windows for Warehouses + PC-DOS 6,31 (busy girl here).

The Win2k is SP0 slipped to SP4.1 = SP4 + SRP1. WinXP is SP0 slipstreamed to SP2. WinXP is whatever came in the back of the novel i bought recently, prolly with a sp slipped.

But the plan is to eventually put all sorts of info at my webpage, along with interesting tips, batch files etc.

One thing i do is to run a post install utility to do the fixes that setup trashes.

W

At the moment, i am doing lots of work with hivefix.inf for Win2k/xp/2k3 The files currently are composite for Win2k + WinXP, but 2k3 is still in the queue. Also in the works is still K8668, which is the rebuild of Windows for Warehouses + PC-DOS 6,31 (busy girl here).

The Win2k is SP0 slipped to SP4.1 = SP4 + SRP1. WinXP is SP0 slipstreamed to SP2. WinXP is whatever came in the back of the novel i bought recently, prolly with a sp slipped.

But the plan is to eventually put all sorts of info at my webpage, along with interesting tips, batch files etc.

One thing i do is to run a post install utility to do the fixes that setup trashes.

W