New ide raid drivers for install LOOK INSIDE

webmedic

:rolleyes::D:D:)

it works.

[sourceDisksFiles]

fasttrak.sys = 1,,,,,,_x,4,1

fasttrak.inf = 1,,,,,,,20,0,0 (this line does the diffrence)

[HardwareIdsDatabase]

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_5275 = "fasttrak"

[sCSI.Load]

fasttrak = fasttrak.sys,4

[sCSI]

fasttrak = "Promise MBFastTrak 133 lite)"

thanks vkostas

no problem the funny thing is that that inf file should never need to be included like that. Oh well if it works then great.

I will add this to the txtsetup.sif in the drivers.cab also. If you could post in the other thread which motherboard this is working on for you and what chip I'll add it to the top of that thread so we can keep a good count of what all it's working on.

I would like it ot be a good resource for other also.

no problem the funny thing is that that inf file should never need to be included like that.  Oh well if it works then great.

I will add this to the txtsetup.sif in the drivers.cab also. If you could post in the other thread which motherboard this is working on for you and what chip I'll add it to the top of that thread so we can keep a good count of what all it's working on.

I would like it ot be a good resource for other also.

ok about the .inf and the .sys but what about the fasttrak.cat file ???

there is no need to include it in TXTSETUP.SIF ?

no the cat file is only used to register the component for use under windows. Really you should not have to add the inf file either as txtsetup.sif only needs the driver file itself. Thats the whole idea of adding the lines I added to txtsetup.sif it replaces the inf file more or less. That method works for most of the boards out there by the way it's still baffeling to my the inf file would need to be included.

If it works though then so be it.

I know this is not the right forum, but in as much as we are already talking about RAID, maybe someone can answer a question for me...

I am currently running RAID 1 (mirror)

I understand that the drive capacity of the mirror raid is limited to the smallest drive (ie: Drive 0 = 160g Drive 1 = 120g / Mirror Raid = 120g)

What happens under RAID 0 (Stripe)?

Are the drives still limited to the smallest capacity?

(ie: Drive 0 = 160g Drive 1 = 120g / Stripe Raid = 240g)

or can you get max utilization?

(ie: Drive 0 = 160g Drive 1 = 120g / Stripe Raid = 280g)

Thanks!

oh good question as far as I know you are still limited to the smallest drive under striping.

Smoebody else may know better but the best way to find out would be to try it both ways and when you get to the part in text mode setup were it asks you how you want to do your drives check the size. That should tell you.

Let us know.

@Spinman

yes please try it and let us know!

but i think, not sure

ie: Drive 0 = 160g Drive 1 = 120g / Stripe Raid = 280g

@webmedic

sorry, the last days i didn't have time for trying integrating my controller.

i want telling you my news at next time

In the txtsetup.sif in the drivers.cab, the settings for promise MBFasttrak 133 lite is:

[sourceDisksFiles]

[HardwareIdsDatabase]

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_7275 = "fasttk"

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_5275 = "fasttk"

[sCSI.Load]

fasttk = fasttrak.sys,4

[sCSI]

fasttk = "WinXP Promise FastTrak133 Lite Controller"

when windows was loading files under setup, i was able to see that it loaded the MBFasttrak 133 lite, but i was unable to see hardrivers connect to raid controller.

So i chance the settings to:

[sourceDisksFiles]

[HardwareIdsDatabase]

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_7275 = "fasttrak"

PCI\VEN_105A&DEV_5275 = "fasttrak"

[sCSI.Load]

fasttrak = fasttrak.sys,4

[sCSI]

fasttrak = "Promise FastTrak133 Lite Controller"

and i was able to see harddrivers connect to raid controller

Drive 0 = 160g Drive 1 = 120g / Stripe Raid = 240g

you are limited to the smallest drive capacity

A final question on RAID configuration and sizing...

I have just switched from Lite RAID (only RAID 0 or RAID 1 using 2 drives) on my motherboard (Promise 20276 chip) to a hacked version of Full RAID - with the intention of setting up a 4 drive 0+1 RAID configuration, because I need additional mirror capacity (have yet to install the drives and call up the configuration menu)...

As mentioned above, I currently have spare drives = (2) 160g and (2) 120g hard drives. Rather than obtaining 240g capacity - can I set up two Raid 1 Arrays - one with 120g mirror capacity and one with 160g mirror capacity? Or is this not an option provided under full raid (FastTrak TX2000 drivers)...

Thanks -

Well, I've read through this thread (and a couple others dealing with the Raid drivers) and I have a couple small questions....

This way here seems rather complex to add additional Raid controllers (I have two boards with different raid controllers) on my own. Or is it just me?

I found another way at... http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?t...ed&pagenumber=2

While it was an example using a different controller then I have, I just substituted the stuff for the Promise FastTrak 376 Array controller built into my Asus P4PE/Lan/1394/Sata board and the VIA 6410 array controller built into my Asus P4P800 DLX board.

This way I followed seemed easier that what I found here, there is No Need to press F6 when starting and you can install to a drive connected to the Array Controller. When the install is complete, XP recognises the controller correctly in device manager, and sees all drives/partitions.

(for my files as examples see... http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.p...15&pagenumber=9 Page 7 of the thread also has my WINNT.SIF.)

Is one of these ways better than the other? if so, why? or is it a case of use which ever works for you?

Thanks.