WS2003 to Longhorn Server

We want to try and see if we can migrate from WS2003 to Longhorn server but need to ensure ws2003 is still running even if if LH went down so overall want the same users groups settings on ws2003 to LH - whats the best way or what can i read to do this?

thank you in advance

all functionalitly of 2003 is available in LH, if you wanted to ADD a LH server to your domain, you could make it a DC and replicate AD to it without issue

***NOTE***

LH is still beta, please do not do this with your production environment!!!

build a test environment and add LH server to see how they operate and react to your environment configurations.

We want to try and see if we can migrate from WS2003 to Longhorn server but need to ensure ws2003 is still running even if if LH went down so overall want the same users groups settings on ws2003 to LH - whats the best way or what can i read to do this?

thank you in advance

all functionalitly of 2003 is available in LH, if you wanted to ADD a LH server to your domain, you could make it a DC and replicate AD to it without issue

***NOTE***

LH is still beta, please do not do this with your production environment!!!

build a test environment and add LH server to see how they operate and react to your environment configurations.

Thanks but how do i replicate everything in AD 2003 to LH? without doing all accounst and groups individually?

thanks

You add your Longhorn server to the domain after running the updated adprep command on the LH CD. After that, you can add LH DCs to your existing TEST domains running downlevel versions of AD, and they function similarly to 2000 or 2003 DCs. There are new features, so read the help and support docs in LH once you've goten this far and they'll give you an idea of how best to integrate LH into your existing AD, and perhaps migrate forward when the time comes.

ATM there is no functionality gained by moving to a LH level Domain, but there are alot of cool features for LH DCs (read only DCs are sweet!) if you are looking to test Longhorn servers you probably want to test other features as well, NAP, WDS, Core Servers etc, test them all in a TEST enviroment so you see how they will effect your domain

@cluberti,

last time i checked, LH DCs started at 2003 level for domain so you could add it right away. Did that change since 5600?