Does 4X AGP preclude Aero Glass display?

khonjo

A friend of mine upgraded video controller from an onboard card to GForce 6200 but Windows Aero is still missing from a list of the Colour Scheme. The hardware consits of Elite L7VMM2, Athlon 2Ghz, 1.5GB RAM and 200GB HD. Obviouly GForce 6200 can not operate at its full capability because of the 4X limitation but I wonder if 4X AGP preclude Aero Glass.

AGP 4x should work as long as all the requirements are met for Aero, i don't think that the 6200 series had pixel shader 2.0 available to it,

Aero Specifications:

DX9 Gpu

a WDDM driver supported card

Pixel Shader 2.0

32 bits per pixel

128 meg on video car

Thanks for your response.

According to info published at NVIDIA website, 6200 is in a list of Windows Vista ready GPUs.

I downloaded from NVIDIA website drivers specifically intended for Windows Vista RC2 and installed but with no luck. Maybe this problem is due to a bug still left in the RC2.

I had problems on a mobility x1300 that *if* the little Windows Experience Index thing didn't measure at least a 2.0 on the Graphics mark then Aero Glass would be disabled.

Turned out I needed an updated driver...

that is right too, if vista "thinks" your graphics card is not capable of aero (even if it is) becuase of driver issues or compatability issues, it won't display aero, driver issues should be getting fixed by the companies that make those products soon, just some take longer then others :)

Indeed. Funnily enough, the x1300 had no problems running Aero Glass at all, but my current 7300Go seems really choppy and "hitchy" with it -- even though the 7300 has more physical memory, more memory bandwidth and operates at a higher operational capacity (clockspeed * ROPs * ALU's).

Drivers can be a big impediment...