Does anyone know how long vista takes to Build?

nightwolf81

Does anyone know how long vista takes to Build??

I built a reactOS version myself and it took just under 1 hour (and thats a bare bones OS. . .well so far)!

I would think microsoft would have Battery Backup on their build machines (last topic I read about them having a power failier). . .

I feel like I am past the point of suspense of vista and now just annoyed at how long I've waited (but it really won't be that usable as a replacement until I can buy a license to go with it in January)!! :no:

I have been part of the Beta programs and now I am back to XP (cause of hardware issues) and BOY I miss some of them new features!! . . I feel like I do when I jump back on a 98 machine from XP!!!!!

AND has anyone noticed how UGLY Luna theme is. . . :Cringe:

Well thats about all I got to say today!

Does anyone know how long vista takes to Build??

I built a reactOS version myself and it took just under 1 hour (and thats a bare bones OS. . .well so far)!

I would think microsoft would have Battery Backup on their build machines (last topic I read about them having a power failier). . .

I feel like I am past the point of suspense of vista and now just annoyed at how long I've waited (but it really won't be that usable as a replacement until I can buy a license to go with it in January)!! :no:

I have been part of the Beta programs and now I am back to XP (cause of hardware issues) and BOY I miss some of them new features!! . . I feel like I do when I jump back on a 98 machine from XP!!!!!

AND has anyone noticed how UGLY Luna theme is. . . :Cringe:

Well thats about all I got to say today!

i am sure they have battery backups, but when an entire building looses power, many machines are setup to power down to preserve their data rather then keeping going till the batteries die too :) for a vista build all code that is checked in needs to be compiled. and that is from every programmer! so how ever thousand odd programmers had code checked in needed to be compiled for vista that night. and since it was for RTM or a build right before RTM so i am sure a ton of code had been checked in and needed to be recompiled again.

• 2 weeks later...
well the answer is simple.. I have been a Microsoft Beta tester for 5 years and more.. seeing a Longhorn ver 4015 was when they started building it.. so 4 years is my guess.

he was actually asking how long it took to compile the code for vista

Considering that on OpenOffice.org, I believe that I read it takes 1-2 hours on a good modern *nix machine to compile, I'd say 12 hours for an OS like Vista with its ultra-complex code and thousands of lines of comments ;) But just a guess