How Do I Replace Explorer.exe?

FoxHound

I was tweaking my copy of explorer.exe and I just got it how I wanted it.But I don't know how to inplant the modified explorer.exe into the old one.I know you could do it in DOS but I don't know any programing language nor DOS.Is there an alternative program or method that could do it?

For dummies:

start > restart in MSDOS mode > type at command prompt (c:\) "copy c:\explorer.exe c:\windows\system" (hit enter)

press y or a

type "exit" at command prompt.

Precautions:

1. First copy your current explorer to safe location, you can restore it by the same method.

HTH.

You should leave windows 98 and move to modern operating systems.

For dummies:

start > restart in MSDOS mode > type at command prompt (c:\) "copy c:\explorer.exe c:\windows\system" (hit enter)

press y or a

type "exit" at command prompt.

Precautions:

1. First copy your current explorer to safe location, you can restore it by the same method.

HTH.

You should leave windows 98 and move to modern operating systems.

Did you mean c:\windows instead of c:\windows\system

Why should he leave to a more modern os, they are perhaps happy with what they have, cannot run later os`s on their hardware, they might appreciate the Win9x forum as it seems this is where uses with more modern os`s seem to hang around anyway.

Foxhound

in pure dos F8 command prompt at boot up, type ren c:\windows\explorer.exe explorer.bak, then copy from where you have your modified explorer.exe to c:\windows.

I.e if modified explorer.exe is on your floppy drive copy a:\explorer.exe c:\windows

You can always go back to your original explorer.exe by doing the reverse at the dos prompt if things are not the way you want

ren c:\windows\explorer.exe explorer.del

ren c:\windows\explorer.bak explorer.exe

HTH

P.S by typing the dos command with /? at the end reveals that commands help, i.e ren /? shows you how to use rename (don not forget the space) copy /? shows you how to use copy

Edited by oscardog

Did you mean c:\windows instead of c:\windows\system

Why should he leave to a more modern os, they are perhaps happy with what they have, cannot run later os`s on their hardware, they might appreciate the Win9x forum as it seems this is where uses with more modern os`s seem to hang around anyway.

This is the Windows 95/98/98SE/ME forum. Please don't give such useless advice.
Indeed. explorer.exe resides in \windows and not \windows\system. If you do find an explorer.exe in the sysdir, it might be malicious.

Sorry guys, i meant c:\windows. I should not have given advice regarding operating system change as i also only have Windows98SE for about 6 years. I was just trying to help in a rookie way. :angel

U cannot copy explorer.exe from Windows because Windows is using it every time.

Just try to exit in real dos mode.

Example while boot your PC press F8 and then 5 to command prompt or some another way.

location of explorer.exe is in c:\Windows

if is your reshacked explorer.exe file is in c:\Temp

than use this dos command in command prompt line...

COPY C:\TEMP\EXPLORER.EXE C:\WINDOWS <AND PRESS ENTER>

It's too easy job!!!!! B)

You want to copy explorer while in WIndows?

Just install Winrar keep it open and end Explorer then copy it. I forget if you can still copy if Explorer is closed. I would use Enditall or Pcrview to end explorer while the WInrar window is open.

Also put your main HD as a secondary drive and use another drive to copy it.

What the fluff does Notepad have to do with it? Besides the old trick of using the Open dialog as a file manager...lol. Some people just love to be obscure. Bleh. Has everyone forgotten the System File Checker? Very handy for switching files when one is feeling lazy.

If you have an alternative file manager, you can CTRL-ALT-DEL explorer to hell and do the job much more efficiently. Easier yet if you have an alternative shell too. *chuckles wickedly*

I once sent my unsavvy sister a hacked explorer with a batchfile installer. Ah, nostalgia.