Duplicate Paint and Wordpad programs

BenoitRen

Windows 95 installs mspaint.exe and wordpad.exe in C:\Program Files\Accessories, and uses those for the shortcuts in the Start Menu and the file type associations.

When you look in C:\Windows, you find pbrush.exe and write.exe, which seem to be the same applications. I checked the version and language, and they're the same as well.

Is there a reason for this duplication? Can I safely delete one of both? I'd like to move ones in Accessories to Windows and change the associations and shortcuts accordingly.

Both writer.exe and pbrush.exe are only 20 kb in size, too small to be true.

They just launch wordpad and paint for backwards compatibility with these older versions from win3.1. In win98 this is still the case. ( But on my Win98se system the internal fileversions are not the same)

I guess you don't need this backwards compatibility so you can save 40kb diskspace by deleting them!

link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/148494/en-us

I see, so they ARE different. Hmm, I'll just copy mspaint and wordpad to the Windows folder and change all the references. I don't think I'll delete pbrush and write if they're that small and there for a reason.

Thanks for the info!