RAID Slipstreamer x86/x64

iTwins

Hi,

I've been working on an unattended install for win2k3 r2 for a HS21 blade server and so far I've been able to get it to detect the controller (lsi logic 1064e) and run through the install including the gui part. However, it blue screens when it starts up after completing the install with an inaccessible boot device stop code (0x0000007b). I've also tried using the raid slipstreamer and I get the same stop code after the install completes. If anyone can point me in the right direction for troubleshooting this. I'd appreciate it. I've also included my txtsetup.sif and winnt.sif files. Thanks.

sif.zip

Hi,

I've been working on an unattended install for win2k3 r2 for a HS21 blade server and so far I've been able to get it to detect the controller (lsi logic 1064e) and run through the install including the gui part. However, it blue screens when it starts up after completing the install with an inaccessible boot device stop code (0x0000007b). I've also tried using the raid slipstreamer and I get the same stop code after the install completes. If anyone can point me in the right direction for troubleshooting this. I'd appreciate it. I've also included my txtsetup.sif and winnt.sif files. Thanks.

Sorry, I haven't tried on an HS21 before. However, our IBM x3250 are based on the 8k/i SAS Controller that uses the LSI Logic 1064 controller chipset - the same driver as the 1064e/1068/1068e/1078 (lsi_sas.sys). That was confirmed working.

I noticed that IBM has released a 11/26/06 driver for the LSI_SAS.SYS and that RAID Slipstreamer v3.0 used an older 03/20/06 version.

Try using this, which comes with the 11/26/06 driver:

RAID Slipstreamer v3.0 Update 1

Let me know how it goes.

Normally, if it BSoD on the textmode screen (copying phase), it is a result of wrong/corrupt/missing SYS driver or TXTSETUP.SIF is corrupted or incorrectly labeled.

If it BSoD in the GUI installation (plug 'n' play device driver detection phase), then almost always it is missing other supporting drivers (ie. DLL, EXE, and possibly other SYS files as well). This is the reason why you need to add "OemPnPDriversPath=Drivers\RAID;" which I see you already did (but is it correctly placed in \i386\$OEM$\$1\DRIVERS\RAID?). For most home- desktop/notebook controllers, you may only need the SYS files. For heavy duty controllers that costs as much as your paycheque, you need that entry in your WINNT.SIF or UNATTEND.TXT.

I've used RAID slipstreamer to integrate these RAID drivers into a W23k Ent SP1 slip-streamed (critical OS updates) installation.

I end up with "The file arcsas.SYS could not be found." press any key to continue (which of course results in the aborted install).

In particular I need the ibm ServeRAID 8k controller driver, which is why I'm trying your slip-streamer process.

Solution?

• 2 weeks later...
I've used RAID slipstreamer to integrate these RAID drivers into a W23k Ent SP1 slip-streamed (critical OS updates) installation.

I end up with "The file arcsas.SYS could not be found." press any key to continue (which of course results in the aborted install).

In particular I need the ibm ServeRAID 8k controller driver, which is why I'm trying your slip-streamer process.

Solution?

As mentioned in email:

"Anyways, it is always recommended that you use a clean OS before using RAID Slipstreamer. RAID Slipstreamer was not tested thoroughly enough whether it can coexist with other tools such as nLite or HFSLIP.

If you still get this error, I would suggest editing the TXTSETUP.SIF file and remove all occurrences of the IASTOR.SYS entries. Just do a text search.

OR

You can manually add the uncompressed IASTOR.SYS file and place it inside $WIN_NT$.~LS (or $WIN_NT$.~BT...forgot which one). "

Edited by iTwins

Okay, I am not quite sure if I've understood it all so please tell me if I did wrong:

1. Downloaded Raid Slipstreamer 3.0 (and also KiXforms since I didn't have it)

2. Copied my Windows XP Professional from the CD to C:\XP Slipstream

3. Executed RAID_Slipstreamer_v3.0.exe, pressed Windows XP and pointed it to C:\XP Slipstream and then Proceed.

Does this copy of XP have the support for SATA integrated now if I burn it and then install it?

Also, I plan to do this tomorrow:

4. Using the SATA-slipstreamed version of XP with nLite and doing my special configurations that I want and integrating hotfixes.

Is this right? I got four SATA2 disks and have always been irritated over the fact that I've never had the drivers for them so that I could use AHCI.

Hey JockeII,

You got the big picture. Here's a more complete procedure (which I failed to provide in the first place):

1) Download RAID Slipstreamer 3.0

2) Install MS Dot Net Framework v1.1 (no need to install 7-zip or Kixform as they are now included)

3) copy XP CD to "C:\XP" (use 8.3 formats please. Apologies. I haven't fully learnt the art of programming that allows me to add support for long filenames)

4) Run RAID Slipstreamer and point to "C:\XP"

5) Burn to CD

For most drivers, you can simply boot from the CD and install XP just as you normally would

For some heavy duty drivers (mostly server-class controllers), you may need to perform an unattended installation, which allows you to make use of the following entry in the WINNT.SIF or UNATTEND.TXT

[unattended]

OEMPnPDriversPath=Drivers\RAID;

There are a lot of references in MSFN that teach one how to perform an unattended installation. Most teach the use of WINNT.SIF and WINNT32.EXE. I however, provided a Universal Windows Boot Disk that uses an alternate (still Microsoft approved and supported) way of performing unattended installation by using UNATTEND.TXT and WINNT.EXE. You might want to check it out.

Hope this helps.

Edited by iTwins

Thanks, helps alot. Shouldn't be any need to do the unattended install for me I presume (and hope).

Edit: I noticed that it says Windows 2003 when slipstreaming the drivers, even though I choose Windows XP. Should it be like that?

Edit2: I got the "arcsas.sys could not be found" error. =( I use a Gigabyte GA-965P DQ6 motherboard, so it is Intel drivers I need. I have the iastor.sys, though I do not have a folder named $WIN_NT$.~LS. Actually I can't find anything searching for just win_nt.

Edited by JockeII

Hmmm....supposedly the program will automatically detect the OS and install the corresponding platform drivers for you.

63935040oq7.png

Automatic detect checks for the presence of NTDLL.DLL to determine the platform type and automatically install the correct platform driver

But you can also perform a manual slip like this:

60716509li4.png

Manual method also checks for the presence of NTDLL.DLL to determine the platform type. If your OS selection is different from the detected OS, it will pop up a message asking for your confirmation to continue or abort.

NOTE. Just noticed a bug (with manual slip) - it doesn't always work. But the automatic detect still works. For now, use autodetect instead.

Update. On second thought, it wasn't a bug (for this case). My tests were flawed and now I know what I did wrong that made me thought it was a bug.

However, there is different but minor bug that involves the DOSNET.INF entries. In most cases you don't need DOSNET.INF entries. Nevertheless, it is a bug and I will have a fix available asap. Of course, unless my testing is flaw again and... :)

Edited by iTwins

- April 23rd, 2007 - Just coincidence that the past 2 updates also happened on the 23rd. Anyways, v3.0.2 fixed the DOSNET.INF bug. This should correct the issue regarding drivers not found during textmode phase installation. I screwed up the codes while adding support for WinPE...

Hi, here is what I've come up about RAID Slipstreamer.

When I let it automaticaly detect the OS it would always detect Windows 2003 instead of Windows XP which was the right one.

I did as suggested in the forum and checked the version of the NTDLL.DLL in the I386\SYSTEM32 directory (where I had copied the WINXP CD) and I confirm that its file version is 5.1.2600.2180 which corresponds to Windows XP and not Windows 2003.

If anyone with this problem did the automatic detection and continued whatsoever, the problem that I saw happening is that when you are trying to run the Windows XP CD to install the OS, while loading the drivers it'll say "The file arcsas.SYS could not be found.". This happens because the drivers being used are the Windows 2003 ones and not Windows XP as supposed.

The solution for this is simple..

1. After starting RAID Slipstreamer check MANUAL SLIP and your OS;

2. Select the directory where the OS was copied to (ex: C:\OS\ROOT);

3. Select Proceed and when it warns you about the OS not being what it detected, just click YES to continue with your choice.

In the end RAID Slipstreamer is successful and closes itself.

Now everything should be fine, I noticed this situation in the latest 3.0.2 version. There is probably a mistake in the code where it should check the file version of the NTDLL.DLL file.

However, I must add that this application was very useful and I want to thank iTwins for it!

Continue the good work!

Hi, here is what I've come up about RAID Slipstreamer.

When I let it automaticaly detect the OS it would always detect Windows 2003 instead of Windows XP which was the right one.

I did as suggested in the forum and checked the version of the NTDLL.DLL in the I386\SYSTEM32 directory (where I had copied the WINXP CD) and I confirm that its file version is 5.1.2600.2180 which corresponds to Windows XP and not Windows 2003.

Lain:

Very much appreciate for the feedback. I wish everyone would contribute as much. 300 downloads of v3.0 but less than a dozen provided feedback regarding potential bugs.

Anyways, you're not the first one complaining about the wrongful detection. I need to look further into this potential bug.

Thanks again!

Question:

Could you please check the version of the NTDLL.DLL in the "i386" directory? That's where I tell the program to check for instead of the "i386\System32" directory.

Edited by iTwins

Say,

Is .Net 1.1 required ? I have v2 & v3 installed but no 1.1

I ask because I am getting an error at RaidSlip startup:

MS .Net Assembly Registration Utility

and then a error box with:

KIXForms.Net no initiated. Script will now close.

Any ideas ?

Thanks !