ctfmon.exe

tal ormanda

It is required for East Asian language input.

Do this: Start -> Run, and open intl.cpl.

Go to the Language tab and click Details. Go to the Advanced tab and put a check in "Turn off advanced text services" and Apply.

It's not needed at all.

Here's how to properly remove/uninstall it.

Microsoft Windows 2000 and Microsoft Windows XP:

1. Quit all Office programs.
  2. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. NOTE: In Windows XP, click Start and then click Control Panel.
  3. In Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs.NOTE: In Windows XP, click Add or Remove Programs.
  4. In the Currently installed programs list, click to select Microsoft Office XP product, where Office XP product is the name of the specific Office product being used. If you are using a standalone version of one of the Office programs, click to select the appropriate product in the list. Click Change.
  5. In the Maintenance Mode Options dialog box, select Add or Remove Features, and then click Next. This displays the Choose installation options for all Office applications and tools dialog box.
  6. Click the plus sign (+) next to Office Shared Features to expand it.
  7. Click the icon next to Alternative User Input, and then select Not Available.
  8. Click Update.

ctfmon.exe is a component of 2000 and XP, copied by default in XP to system32 and only copied in 2000 when adding input for other languages. When installing IE7 it is forced upon the user even if they don't have additional input languages or Office installed and can be disabled in the Regional settings.

Edited by redxii

I just delete the file, remove its run key in the registry and never let it restore it (SFP is disabled on my system)

Useless for me, if I need to input Asian languages I have my own IME program anyway.