WMP11 FINAL on 2k3 Server

Proneax

So, I had gotten Beta 1 to work a while ago using a batch file and a sleep timer to copy the update.inf over, however when I applied this method to the final release it didn't work, if I set the timer to anything 1ms or greater it would give me the 'cannot validate blah inf', and without the timer it would give me wrong windows version errors.

Anyway, I figured out a way to delay the inf detection and allow me to copy the inf. This involved renaming the security catalog file and replacing it with a dummy. When the cat file is missing, there is a long timeout, so I tell my batch file to start update.exe, wait 100ms, copy the inf, then copy the cat file over. Update will wait for the real cat file to be appear then validate, so it sees the original inf to compare with the security catalog after it approved the windows version with the edited ini file.

I repeated this step with all the extractable exes inside the installer.

Here is the batch file:

@ECHO OFF
SET COPYCMD=/Y

echo hi
xcopy Mupdate.inf update.inf
start update.exe
start /wait Sleeper.exe 100
xcopy Cupdate.inf update.inf
xcopy wmp11.cat55 wmp11.cat
pause

So, you need to:

1.) extract the downloaded installer package to a folder

2.) extract each exe inside the folder from (1.) into its own folder (5 extractable exes)

3.) go to the update folder within each extracted folder from (2.)

4.) create a copy of the original inf and edit as below, then rename the copy Mupdate.inf (see below for values)

5.) create a copy of the original inf file as Cupdate.inf

6.) rename the appropriate cat file *.cat55 and create a new file (ie a new text file) named *.cat

(purpose of creating the blank file is to suppress a copy confirmation in the batch file)

7.) Make sure the batch file has the correct "cat" names, they are different for each exe.

8.) Run the batch file for each update folder.

MaxNtMinorVersionToUpdate=2
MaxNtMajorVersionToUpdate=5
NtBuildToUpdate=3790
NtMinorVersionToUpdate=2
NtMajorVersionToUpdate=5
MaxNtBuildToUpdate=3790
MinNtServicePackVersion=0
MaxNtServicePackVersion=2304

The format is not the same in all the infs but the values are.

oh i attached sleeper.exe too in the batch above, it waits 100ms, which was good for me but you may need to adjust if you get errors. If you get an error you can just re-run the batch file it saves the infs but you ahve to delete the *.cat file and re-create the fake one manually.

Have Fun!

Sleeper.exe

Edited by Proneax

I don't understand it.

How does this work since all the files are extracted?

Why do you do this bit:

5.) create a copy of the original inf file as Cupdate.inf

I keep getting the error:

"The version of Windows you have installed does not match the update you are trying to install"

Why do you run "update.exe" and not the batch script?

Oh man - can't someone just upload a fixed version of this for

Server 2003? Sorry, I must sound lazy there but I have been

trying to do this for more than an hour and its not happening. :(

If anyone has a working version of WMP11 final for Server 2003

can you upload it to Megaupload please?

Edited by LeveL

yeah, type-o... use the batch file

honestly tho, you didn't even try using the batch file??

you create a copy of the inf because if you don't copy the original file back, the installer can tell you modified it and won't install.

I don't understand your first question. The installer comes as a compressed package... if you run it it just extracts all the stuff then runs the exes in order. We just do that manually so we can modify the install process.

• 5 weeks later...

I just followed your steps with success. Thanks! Maybe I can explain what I did a little more clearly for others:

For wmfdist11.exe, I extracted the contents to its own folder using WinRAR and created the following batch file (named updater.bat) inside the /update folder.

@echo off
ren wmfdist11.cat wmfdist11.catbak
copy Mupdate.inf update.inf /y
pause
start update.exe
pause
copy Cupdate.inf update.inf /y
ren wmfdist11.catbak wmfdist11.cat

For wmp11.exe, I extracted the contents to its own folder using WinRAR and created the following batch file inside the /update folder.

@echo off
ren wmp11.cat wmp11.catbak
copy Mupdate.inf update.inf /y
pause
start update.exe
pause
copy Cupdate.inf update.inf /y
ren wmp11.catbak wmp11.cat

In each of the /update folders, I made two copies of the update.inf file -- Mupdate.inf and Cupdate.inf. I changed the following section in each Mupdate.inf file:

Original Mupdate.inf:

MaxNtMinorVersionToUpdate=1
NtBuildToUpdate=2600
NtMinorVersionToUpdate=1
NtMajorVersionToUpdate=5
MaxNtBuildToUpdate=2600
MinNtServicePackVersion=512

Replaced with the following:

MaxNtMinorVersionToUpdate=2
NtBuildToUpdate=3790
NtMinorVersionToUpdate=2
NtMajorVersionToUpdate=5
MaxNtBuildToUpdate=3790
MinNtServicePackVersion=0

Not sure if I should have done this, but I installed all the executable packages (umdf.exe, WindowsXP-MSCompPackV1-x86.exe, and wmdbexport.exe) except for wmpappcompat.exe. I accomplished this by just running them in compatibility mode (Windows XP). wmpappcompat.exe seemed like it was specific to XP SP2, so I skipped it. Again, not sure if any of this was necessary.

Now I ran my updater.bat file for wmfdist11 first. Basically, the script renames the security catalog and copies the Mupdate.inf to update.inf. Press a key inside the batch file window, and the Windows installer should pop up. Before continuing with the installation, press a key inside the batch file again to revert update.inf and the security catalog back to its original state. You can now click Next and install properly. Do the same for the wmp11 package as well.

Tae

• 1 month later...