Open Source MS release

pzaully

Hi guys,

As crazy as this sound to most, in the last year MS has mentioned the name of an OS built off open source from the ground up not relating to windows at all. Unfortunately i havnt been able to find the bulletin of it and googling for it seems like an impossible venture. Does anybody remember its name?

Please!

Thanks,

Paul

I believe you're talking about Singularity. It's built from the ground up, and is not related to windows (and it's the ONLY other OS they make besides windows). However, it's not open source, nor can you get it anywhere or in any way, unless you're a programmer on the microsoft research's OS team perhaps. Not like you'd have a use for it either...

Yes, I believe that Singularity is a research project that started with the question: "what would a software platform look like if it was designed from scratch with the primary goal of dependability?"

It may have been stolen from the open source stuff, but I can guarantee that it won't stay free.

It may have been stolen from the open source stuff, but I can guarantee that it won't stay free.

Nothing has been stolen from anyone. It's been written from scratch in C#. And there is no price, as it's not about to be released or sold anytime soon, it's just a research project. No need to bash them pointlessly.

And about points like "Micro$oft and OpenSource don't go together", that might be true, but then again, so is the case of basically ~99% of companies selling software out there.

Edited by crahak

i wouldn't want an OS based on C# even if it was free. (and for the record i code in C#)

heh, and anything based on C# would end up being open source since it decompiles so nicely ;)

Indeed. This is probably more of a "look, we can do this" kind of thing - just like the OS written in Java.

• 4 weeks later...