nLite 1.2.1 Final - Finish him!

nuhi

Second, Windows Vista Setup, like Vista itself, is more modular, though you will paradoxically see fewer choices--and thus be able to make fewer customizations--if you run interactive Setup to install Vista (as most end-users will do). The modular nature of the Vista Setup routine allows enterprises to more elegantly customize their Windows Vista installs. And that means that true power users will be able to do so as well. (I should note, however, that the amazingly short time required for interactive Setup almost completely offsets any gains made by taking the time to create a custom Vista install DVD.)

Third, Windows Vista Setup no longer bulk copies a slew of files from the install medium, expands them on the fly, and then copies them to the hard drive, one at time. Instead, Microsoft has created an image-based Setup format that contains a compressed archive of a basic bootable Windows Vista system that will work on any hardware. This single file install image is copied to the hard drive in a single whack and expanded. Then, the system reboots and the particular hardware devices on your PC are detected and, if you're lucky, configured with drivers.

Fourth, and perhaps most important, Microsoft has completely changed the way it services Windows. In the past, the process of combining, or slipstreaming, service packs and hot-fixes into a Windows install were tedious and error-prone. Now, all you have to do is copy the update into an Updates folder found in the root of any Vista Setup DVD, install share, or Setup image. It's literally that simple: All future installs will automatically incorporate any updates stored in that folder.

From http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_03.asp

Well, hope that helps.

Hia again,

I remember that small bug with ealier versions of nlite

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer

4. On the Edit menu, click Permissions.

5. In the permissions for Installer dialog box, click Administrators in the Group or user names list, and then make sure that the Full Control permission is set for the Administrators group. If this permission is not set, click to select the Full Control check box under Allow.

6. Click OK.

7. Repeat steps 5 through 6 for the SYSTEM group.

8. Repeat steps 5 through 6 for the Everyone group.

This helps skip mistakes while opening exel or word files in explorer. Why those permissions are skipped?

Can You reply on that?

Alex

Edited by Alex

Windows Automated Installation Kit RTM Now Available for Download

The RTM version of the Windows Automated Installation Kit (Windows-AIK or WAIK) is now available for download from Microsoft downloads. This download contains the production version of the tools necessary to create a Windows Vista image such as Windows System Image Manager, Windows PE 2.0, and Imagex. It also includes the production version of Windows Deployment Service so that you can upgreade your RIS boxes to WDS.

View: http://windowsconnected.com/blogs/joshs_bl...r-Download.aspx

It's a bit like nLite but for Windows Vista. I haven't tried it yet. Since I use XP.

I have noticed the following 2 problems present in 1.2 and 1.2.1 but were not present in the previous RC.

Final image size is larger considerably.

When integrating ryanvm wmp10 pack nlite complains it is overwriting "newer" files when it isnt, it misreads 10. as 1.0 in the file version.

Hi nuhi,

Tested nlite 1.21 with those options: integrated installer hotfix 3.1 and that's all. No drivers, addons, nothing, so install takes 10 minutes. Permissions are not in place so I add them manually

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer

4. On the Edit menu, click Permissions.

5. In the permissions for Installer dialog box, click Administrators in the Group or user names list, and then make sure that the Full Control permission is set for the Administrators group. If this permission is not set, click to select the Full Control check box under Allow.

6. Click OK.

7. Repeat steps 5 through 6 for the SYSTEM group.

8. Repeat steps 5 through 6 for the Everyone group.

Tested nlite 1.01 and integrated only installer. Everything is fine, permissions are in place.

So it looks like nlite problem... What is wrong? Can You fix that in next version? Pls test that Youself, it's quick.

Thank You,

Alex

I'm experiencing problems with the latest version of nLite (1.2.1) I didn't have before with 1.0.1:

After nLiting 15 times with various settings,I couldn't get some stuff working.Then tried with 1.0.1 and everything worked from the first try.

Issues:

1. No matter what components I keep/remove,nLite 1.2.1 seems to delete more stuff than it should: I can't even install KERIO Personal Firewall 4.2.2 now,for example - the installer aborts with an error message. With 1.0.1,it works flawlessly.

I'm not surprised about gdogg complaining how he can't get his MicrowinX addon working with the newer releases,It seems something's gone wrong since nLite 1.0.1.

2. When having both a 56k modem and an Ethernet card enabled and drivers integrated with nLite 1.0.1,there are 2 Network adapters in the Network Card/MAC settings,but with 1.2.1 only one is displayed.

3. Most of the tweaks don't work.Like for example,the Start Menu pops up on first start and is not set to Classic,even when I set both in the Tweaks.

4. When nLiting with 1.2.1,the ISO size is significantly larger than with 1.0.1,even though there's more stuff to remove with 1.2.1 and I use maximum compression and merge driver.cab & sp.cab with 1.2.1.

Note: WinXP SP2 pro,no addons integrated,just drivers.

there's a problem with the IE7 slipstream, the new sound files are not being expaded to there real names.

popupblk.wav should be "Windows Pop-Up Blocked.wav"

feeddisc.wav should be "Windows Feed Discovered.wav"

infobar.wav should be "Windows Information Bar.wav"

navstart.wav should be "Windows Navigation Start.wav"

these four files come from IE7 and are not expanded to there real names when intergrated, they are fine when IE7 is installed from normal user mode. this happens in Both XP and 2003.

just a reminder to nuhi if you want to fix this...

if you boot the OS and don't log on before the screensaver, you can't log on at all and have to reboot.

also, something is screwy with the screensaver and password protect -- i can never get the password option to work, even though i don't set it in nLite (as i think you suggested a while back).

also, question: do you HAVE to format the partition if you set 'documents and settings' to another physical drive?

Edited by atomizer