On my Desktop I can see written following:

gesture

Anyone can tell me why I found written on my Desktop written following on the left hand corner:

Windows XP Professional - For testing purposes only. Build 2600.xpsp_sp_gdr.050301-151 (Service Pack 2)

I would be glad to hear the tip what that mean?

It means that you need to buy a licenced windows. What you have got at the moment is only a trial version.

Thank you for your reply.

I think I have installed the correct version from the original windows CD provided.

It appears after I got downloaded all the updates including IE7.

What irritating me is written "For testing purpose only"

it may be possible by editing win32k.sys using reshacker or res tuner

Thank you for adding your reply.

I could not understand you or follow your point of view.

Please could you explain me that can i able to reedit my win32k.sys and how can i do this?

Next, I am missing sys. restore in my OS. When I am trying to install Windows Player 10 it gives me error: that says... sys. restore is missing. Could you please help me and guide me how to follow this mistake?

Edited by gesture

You should not have that message if it's from the original install disks, but this registry edit should fix it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\CA\Certificates\FEE449EE0E3965A5246F000E87FDE2A065FD89D4]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\ROOT\Certificates\2BD63D28D7BCD0E251195AEB519243C13142EBC3]

I found this here http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits...topbranding.reg

Also in regards to your system restore, are you running service pack 2? When you right click on My Computer and choose properties do you have the system restore tab? Is the system restore service started?

Edited by dhdan

The "testing purposes only" label is a little strange...Also - that type of message usually shows up in the bottom right corner - not left.

TweakUI can also fix this problem. Under the General section, uncheck "Show Windows version on Desktop".

The "testing purposes only" label is a little strange...Also - that type of message usually shows up in the bottom right corner - not left.

TweakUI can also fix this problem. Under the General section, uncheck "Show Windows version on Desktop".

Thank you for your reply to my querry.

This is how I am also surprised to see such label. You are right it is written on the right corner bottom.

You mean I have to install the TweakUI for fix this problem. Is there any other way to get rid of this funny writing.

Another issue is how to get the sys. restore back. Through Windows component, unable to get it. Not found.

Any trick to get this file back from CD?

You should not have that message if it's from the original install disks, but this registry edit should fix it.

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\CA\Certificates\FEE449EE0E3965A5246F000E87FDE2A065FD89D4]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\ROOT\Certificates\2BD63D28D7BCD0E251195AEB519243C13142EBC3]

Also in regards to your system restore, are you running service pack 2? When you right click on My Computer and choose properties do you have the system restore tab? Is the system restore service started?

Thank you for writing on the topic and tipps.

I did tried to merge the file with the regedit. But I havn't seem any reaction.

Well, i could not find this sys. restore service tab nor see any sign of it.

With Start into Programme ... Accessories ... System Tools I can see only three Tabs Disk Cleanup and Disk Defrag... IE Addon

In Windows components even i could found it to get it back. Any good tip?

Click Start, Run and type in services.msc and hit enter. Do you see system restore service in the name column? If so, what is the startup type set to? If it is disabled change it to automatic. If you don't see it the service has been deleted.

Also follow these instructions:

* Click Start, Run and type GPEDIT.MSC

* Navigate to this path:

=> Computer Configuration

==> Administrative Templates

===> System

====> System Restore

* Set Turn off System Restore to Not Configured

* Set Turn off Configuration to Not Configured

Click Start, Run and type %windir%\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe and hit enter. Do you get an error? If so post this error or if you don't get an error you should be able to configure your system restore.

If none of this works you might try to reinstall system restore.

Thanks lot for your nice tip. Your given regedit merge file works and the things disappear. Could you please explain me how did this come?

Edited by gesture

Click Start, Run and type in services.msc and hit enter. Do you see system restore service in the name column? If so, what is the startup type set to? If it is disabled change it to automatic. If you don't see it the service has been deleted.

Also follow these instructions:

* Click Start, Run and type GPEDIT.MSC

* Navigate to this path:

=> Computer Configuration

==> Administrative Templates

===> System

====> System Restore

* Set Turn off System Restore to Not Configured

* Set Turn off Configuration to Not Configured

Click Start, Run and type %windir%\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe and hit enter. Do you get an error? If so post this error or if you don't get an error you should be able to configure your system restore.

If none of this works you might try to reinstall system restore.

I went through all the steps and found everything was correctly written

at the end got error mistake:

%windir%\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe

refer to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a Hard DRive on this Computer or on Network. Check sure that disk is properly inserted....

I went to your Restore Links and got the required information their:

WINDOWS DESKTOP MANAGEMENT

When to reinstall System Restore in Windows XP

1. Enable hidden and system files in Explorer if you haven't done so already. To do this, open Control Panel | Folder Options | View, and in Advanced Settings under Hidden Files and Folders, select "Show hidden files and folders," Below that, uncheck "Hide protected operating system files." (You will probably want to restore this option later.)

2. From Start | Run, type %SystemRoot%\inf and press Enter.

3. Find the file named sr.inf. Right click on it and select Install.

4. You may be prompted for your Windows installation media, or a directory on your hard drive that has the \i386 folder. If you installed Service Pack 2 (as opposed to installing a version of Windows XP with SP2 preinstalled), use the folder %SystemRoot%\ServicePackFiles\i386

By running %SystemRoot%\inf could not able to find sr.inf file on the given folders.

%SystemRoot%\ServicePackFiles\i386 getting error message

I have been lost and could not be able to get the result. Please help me!

Once again thank you for your best tip and my regards

Edited by gesture